Thread: Intarsia 101 "THE FINALE"

Intarsia 101 "THE FINALE"

Well so far you have seen the progress of this project from the beginning. From the subject photo,to the making of the pattern, to the tracing and cutting and sanding and contouring and tricks and techniques that I use in the creation of intarsia. After cutting and sanding and fitting and cussing a few times I have finally got all 175 pieces from 13 woods in place and am now ready to finish it up. As you will remember I left the pattern in the frame to better keep track of the pieces so now it is time to remove the pattern and glue everything in. I begin by removing several pieces from the top of the intarsia and pull the pattern out,being careful not to disturb the rest of the pieces. [photo]

Now that the pattern has been removed and while the few pieces are still out I spread glue on the backboard then replace these pieces. I’m using CA glue so I remove only enough pieces that I can easily put back in 2 or 3 minutes as the next few photos show.

This is where making pre-glued units becomes important.

EUREKA—all the pieces are glued in ,so after cleaning any dust from the surface of the intarsia and also cleaning the frame it is time to apply the finish.

I like to use a spray on satin poly . Setting the finished project on a flat surface in a dust free area I apply 3 coats using a sweeping motion coming in from all 4 directions to insure that all areas are covered including the sides of the frame.{photo]

Once the finish is dry I sign it and date it then install the custom name plaque. This was a fun project.

This is the list of woods used—Bush and tree ,Blue Mahoe—Bumper, running board, maple—tires ,wenge—grill and wheelwells, ebony—truck body, pau amerillo—grass, poplar—fence, cherry—treetrunk, fishtail oak—truck seat and windmill ,walnut—headlights, holly—barn roof ,bloodwood—road, mahogany—sky, tulipwood
    My next project will be a commissioned piece of a 1968 Porshe 911. That should be fun.
    Mike
    midlothianwoodworks
    ---------------------
    Why buy it if you can build it

Blog Entries
    Mike
    Thanks for taking the time to explain this process. I think that I will put this on the "Bucket List".
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"