Thread: What to do with these?

What to do with these?

Included in some mesquite obtained last week were these stumps and a root ball (not pictured). I am not sure what is the best way to make use of these items. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

anchorseal them and send them to me

mesquite does not move very much green or dry, you can turn it with the pith in, do not worry about cracks (take normal precations), you can also turn it very thin, it finishes well with little sanding

that said, send me the stump

enjoy

hard to really get an idea of their shapes but I think the one on the right could be made into a bowl or platter.

My bad, should have indicated some idea of size. The one on the right is about 30" in diameter way too big and heavy to turn as is, for me anyway. For lack of a better idea, I was thinking of just picking a spot and slabing off a hunk with the chain saw.

Do a forum search for "natural edge" and see what kind of ideas you get. Those are both great candidates for some natural edged work.

Rich - at 30" you have plenty of wood to play with! I like Curt's idea of checking out the possibilities of natural edge bowls or hollow forms! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

TURN.................................TURN......... ...........................TURN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!

Bruce
    "The great thing about Wood Turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed to have something beautiful. Nature does tha Hard work."

M.H. Woodturning, Etc.
    Peoria, Illinois 61554