Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on Woodworking at Home DVD magazine

Opinions on Woodworking at Home DVD magazine

I am thinking of ordering a back issue or two of the Woodworking at home DVD's prior to subscribing. For those of you who have these DVD's, how do you like them and which back issues would you recommend? I am most interested in learning techniques right now rather than looking for specific projects.

Thanks,
    Wes Billups

Wes,
    It's getting to be one...if not the only..."mag" that I really look forward to in my woodworking off season. I don't know what your interests are...so it's hard to say what back issue you'd be interested in. The website is pretty extensive...check it out.

All in all it's a class act...and Chris Dehut a member of SMC so if you have any questions I'm sure he'll jump in.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Clabo
    Wes,
    It's getting to be one...if not the only..."mag" that I really look forward to in my woodworking off season. I don't know what your interests are...so it's hard to say what back issue you'd be interested in. The website is pretty extensive...check it out.

All in all it's a class act...and Chris Dehut a member of SMC so if you have any questions I'm sure he'll jump in.
    I second that !! I really look forward to it. Psst. Don't tell Chris that !!
    Rich

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
    - General George Patton Jr

From one Wes to another - try it out. I recently got my third volume and really do look forward to it as much if not more than Fine Woodworking. It's not a slick and polished style like FWW - it's more of a personal / conversational presentation. Still, it's very professionally done and the DVD format is great.

Wes

If you haven't already been bit by the turning bug, Dick Sing will probably make that happen through your viewing of the dvd. I really enjoy them - I went back and got them all when I subscribed (through the SMC offer ran by Chris).

I've also started some carving due to the presentations made by Dave Reilly (sp?).

If you can't tell, I'm a big fan of Woodworking at Home and highly recommend it to a home woodworker as it will help show you how instead of just trying to read how. I hope that reads how I think it does!

Dave

I absolutely love it. Woodworking is one of those things where it is easier to understand how to do something by watching than by reading instructions. I've been a subscriber since issue 1.

Frankly, I think Chris DeHut has hit on a terrific concept. I think the idea of a magazine on a disk is a great one that has broad application way beyond the woodworking arena. If he does it right, and works out the advertising kinks, he could turn the idea into a gold mine. If he's looking a good corporate lawyer....

Also, how can you help but love Dick Sing?

Jack

Ah come on folks.....

You people are making me blush

As others have mentioned, I can try to answer any questions here or via email (see our website for contact info). It is true our magazine is new (only on the 10th issue), it is very innovative (Its a DVD video magazine, you watch it like a TV show and can read transcripts of the project stories), it's good (at least in my opinion - very biased mind you), and you won't find anyone working harder in publishing than us to deliver the absolute best magazine possible.

The magazine concept we have is still in it's infancy. There is so much more that we want to do that we feel like a race horse stuck in the starting gate of the greatest race around. It's all just a matter of time as we work very hard to really exploit this concept into what it's true potential can be.

Blushing,

Chris DeHut

Quote Originally Posted by Chris DeHut
    Blushing, Chris DeHut
    Don't let the shyness words fool ya... that Mr. DeHut is a camera hog... But he's not all that ugly so it's safe to let the women and children in the room without scaring them....too much.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

I may not be too ugly but....

That, as others have said about my voice "High pitched, nasel, cheesehead accented, voice is a dead give away he isn't an actor".

Chris

Chris is doing an excellent job with this unique publication. I still haven't caught up on all the issues due to "time challenges", but have enjoyed everything I've watched so far. Like any "magazine" every story will not be of primary interest to you, but even those will entertain and provide you with a view to tools and techniques that may not be familiar to you. I've already found it helpful in several new areas that I've been playing with, even though they might be in slightly different context to the tutorials on the disk.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Someone-

For the newer ones to this site, would someone furnish the website, so we might subscribe, or at least look in on it?

Jack Young
    Why eat natural foods when most people die of natural causes?

"That, as others have said about my voice "High pitched, nasel, cheesehead accented, voice is a dead give away he isn't an actor"."

From one midwestern boy to another - Gee now that you mention it, I do sound like that!

Wes

Wes,

I've been getting it from the beginning and haven't been disappointed yet. Chris DeHut and his crew do a great job, just wish it was longer.

Pete

One more question

Ok, you guys have convinced me that I have been missing out. I think I'll go ahead and order a subscription. Does anyone know if they are planning on printing (burning) more DVD's? I have noticed they are currently out of a couple of editions and I'd prefer to just wait and order the whole set once they have more.

Thanks again,
    Wes Billups