Thread: Dust nibs

Dust nibs

I am working on finishing a red oak coffee table. I have applied several coats of varnish without a single dust nib, but in the past two coats they each look like I tried to flock them. I've done the mop the floor thing, tacked them off using blue shop rags with paint thinner each night for three days. Before applying th coat last night I re-strained my varnish, in case the dust was in the varnish mix.

Any ideas what else I can do? I should be close to the last coat of varnish if I can get this problem solved.

try cleaning all surfaces above the project (walls, ceiling, lights, etc)...if you are worried about dust being kicked up from the floor, wet it down with water while finishing...

It's seems a strange phenomenon. I have experienced this as well. Wish I could explain it or tell you how to prevent it.
    Just don't know.

It's a coffee table. Those aren't dust nibs, they're for traction. That way your glasses or books won't slide off....

I've had really good luck tackling nibs by 'sanding' with a brown paper grocery bag. It knocks the nibs down & doesn't scratch the finish and mess with the gloss.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Whitesell View Post
    I am working on finishing a red oak coffee table. I have applied several coats of varnish without a single dust nib, but in the past two coats they each look like I tried to flock them. I've done the mop the floor thing, tacked them off using blue shop rags with paint thinner each night for three days. Before applying th coat last night I re-strained my varnish, in case the dust was in the varnish mix.

Any ideas what else I can do? I should be close to the last coat of varnish if I can get this problem solved.
    Is it possible that the dust is coming off of your clothing or hair? Sleeves? Not insulting your hygiene but that may be the problem if you were doing other work prior to your finish project.

Check the brush before use too.