Thread: Oneida Air Systems

Blog Entries

Oneida Air Systems

Am looking at a 2-3 hp system for my 800 sf shop. Does anyone know or understand the differences between the V system and the Dust Gorill series aside from costs?

Tim,

I'm in Spring, and just installed a Clear Vue (clearvuecyclones.com) Couldn't be happier, 5 HP with remote for $1425, and about twice the filter area that the Oneidas have. I had it narrowed down to the Clear Vue or a Dust Gorilla. I had the same question about the difference, and found out something, but can't remember what it was. For me, it wouldn't have justified the cost difference, though.

Greg
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 04-16-2009 at 6:51 AM.

Blog Entries

Spring

Greg, where in Spring are you? We are east of Old Town. How is the noise level with a 5 hp unit.

Kelseyville in northern Calif (wine country)
    I recently purchased a V-3000 series (3hp) from Onieda. I was told the V-series is a newer design cyclone (baffles etc.), slightly quieter, and lower cost to produce which results in a lower price. So far I am pleased with it but I have very limited usage. I mounted it outside my shop so I am not using the filter or filter container. They move a lot of air! Ed

Tim,

I'm about 1-2 miles North of Old Town, right at the end of the Hardy Toll Road in Northgate Crossing. If you know where Whitecap Industrial Supply is on I-45, I'm in the 'hood right behind them.

I just got the PM 15" planer with the shelix, and the Grizzly 12" jointer with the shelix, and the DC is noisier than both of those. It's noisy, but I think I could literally suck a cat through the 6" pipe! I keep my little dog away from any open ducts.

If you study impellers and housings, you'll find that the closer the housing, the more suction (static pressure) you get, but the noise increases. Each manufacturer has to choose what trade-off they want. Ed at Clear Vue obviously chose performance instead of ear comfort. On the Clear Vue site there are lots of idea about helping with the noise. I just wear my ear muffs.

Greg, that is an interesting comment about the noise being related to the impeller to housing clearance. I just purchased the V-3000 and noticed that the distance from the impeller to the housing is more than two inches. Maybe this is why the V-3000 is supposed to be quiet compared to other cyclones of the same size. What is the clearance in other units? Also, the V-3000 is a 3 hp unit but has a performance curve that is not quite as good as other 3 hp uints. For me, the V-3000 will be plenty big enough - I went for less noise. The spec is 73 dB for the v-3000. I may still have to build a sound reducing box around it to keep my family happy - or at least keep them from voting me out of the house.

Blog Entries

sound Levels

This is interesting. An increase in only 10 db from 70 db to 80 bd doubles the sound

Sound Environment Sound Pressure Level (dBA SPL) Approximate loudness with regard to ordinary conversation
    Threshold of hearing 0 Don’t hear anything
    Broadcast studio interior or rustling leaves 10 1/32nd as loud as conversation
    Quiet house interior or rural nighttime 20 1/16th as loud
    Quiet office interior or watch ticking 30 1/8th as loud
    Quiet rural area or small theater 40 1/4th as loud
    Quiet suburban area or dishwasher in next room 50 1/2 as loud
    Office interior or ordinary conversation 60 Ordinary Conversation
    Vacuum cleaner at 10 ft. 70 Twice as loud
    Passing car at 10 ft. or garbage disposal at 3 ft 80 4 times as loud
    Passing bus or truck at 10 ft. or food blender at 3 ft. 90 8 times as loud
    Passing subway train at 10 ft. or gas lawn mower at 3 ft. 100 16 times as loud
    Night club with band playing 110 32 times as loud
    Threshold of pain 120 64 times as loud as conversation (twice as loud as night club)