Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wedding gift ideas?

I might suggest a blanket chest or a memory box. Two ideas already given above. If you do go with a card for a future project you may want to put a few ideas on there. Dining room table hall table etc....give them a few ideas. Another idea is to make a small memory box for them with a card inside to build a bigger piece of furniture in the future. It all depends on how much you want to do. Do you want to make a big piece or something smaller or a few something smaller. A box and a few picture frames.

I did the same thing as someone mentioned above with the picture and border for people to sign. I still don't have a frame for it.

Good luck and keep us updated.
    Greg

I made this as a wedding gift for a young couple this past January. Since it was painted I used scrap that I had laying around so material cost was next to nothing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I think I've decided to build them a nice hall table.
    I'd like to solicit some ideas for wood types to use and design ideas/
    I'd like something with some figure for the top, maybe some nice waterfall bubinga? But then what to use for the base.

I know the possibilities are endless, but lets see some that you guys have made!

Ryan
    Remember this when you work with wood:

"I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business. "
    Michael J. Fox

I give end grain cutting boards for wedding presents. Up to 34 or 35 right now.

Blog Entries
    I made this chest for my daughter
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Sparreboom View Post
    I'm open to all ideas at this point. TIA.

What is TIA?

How old is your sister? Young couples need cash more than anything. When all of my friends got married, cash was what I gave them.

TIA = Thanks In Advance

She's 28. They have enough cash.

Ryan
    Remember this when you work with wood:

"I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business. "
    Michael J. Fox

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ricker View Post
    I made a "memory box" for a gift recently, just a small box for wedding mementos, pics ect. maybe 8 X 11 or so. I had a brass name plate with the couple's name and wedding date engraved and put on the top. it was well received
    I would say anything, with "wedding stuff" involved, will shortly be in the closet, after the honeymoon is over.

Making something that they will REALLY use, is the problem. What do they really like, and how do they live their lives everyday? If you can fit something in, great, if not, it's like all the things we have in OUR closets.
    Last edited by Mark W Pugh; 08-25-2016 at 9:19 PM.

You need to look at the type of furniture she buys and get an idea of a style that she likes. If it does not fit the decor, it will end up somewhere nobody sees it. She is likely registered at various stores, and if she picked out any woodwork items that can be telling as well.

The most practical might be a gift card for one free piece of furniture. Maybe carve the gift card?

Look at pics of dumb waiters, including the ones T. Jefferson had. His are lean and simple,even modern. The concept of them is still valid. If not used in original manner they are also good for light easy to move night stand or snack and drink table.

In my early days, I made a pair of modern style candle holders for a co-worker as a wedding present. Walnut stock; approximately 4" square base, tapered to a 3" top; about 4" high (hard to remember actual dimensions from 25 years ago). Basically just a truncated pyramid. Bored a hole in top to fit short glass oil/wick candles in the cups. Could easily change to wax candles. Simple design, beautiful wood, easy to work and easy to finish "natural." Design easy to adjust to your own eye-pleasing proportions. Found out later Rockler and others have brass inserts cheap for a nice touch. Something that can be used year round for almost any occasion. No photos available.

Another idea I have seen is to take the wedding announcement, or the actual signed wedding contract (you technically have one year to offer your gift) laser etched on a wooden plaque. I get my laser etched things for about $15 as long as I provide the text/art in either camera-ready black and white print, or as ajpeg file for the shop. Best if the wood is light enough to contrast to the burnt etch. Finish blank plaque first (shellac works) before etching.Sometimes a second burn is best as it will darken the etch. I do have a sample file if I can insert it here.

Good luck. It will be special because it came it took special effort for two people you thought were special.

Laser_wedding certificate.doc

Download doesn't seem to work. What happens when you click on it? Does a file reference show up at the bottom of your screen and open when you click on it? PM me an email address and I can send a Word doc file.
    Last edited by al heitz; 08-26-2016 at 1:05 AM.

+1 on the clock idea in a conservative style...... I have found that most things just get stuck in a closet after a short time, clocks almost always get used someplace. Remember that most newly married folks will be moving several times so what works in their current house may not in the next.

Robert

Guys, this thread was started NINE years ago. I know your thoughts are well intended, and possibly will be used by others, but directly answering the OP is kind of moot at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Moyer View Post
    Guys, this thread was started NINE years ago. I know your thoughts are well intended, and possibly will be used by others, but directly answering the OP is kind of moot at this point.
    +1.
    But Bad didnt revive this, just so you know. Somebody advertizing wedding services did and their post was later deleted by the mods.