Thread: Sink in the Shop - Priceless

Blog Entries

Sink in the Shop - Priceless

LOML gave me this sink for Christmas. I finally rearranged the washer and dryer area and put it in. It's the little things that count ;-)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

My LOL gave me one exactly like that for my birthday a few years back. I is now a must have in any future shop. It's so helpful to have.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    LOML gave me this sink for Christmas. I finally rearranged the washer and dryer area and put it in. It's the little things that count ;-)
    So funny! I have the exact same set up, complete with riser blocks so the sink's at comfortable height (ok, because I ran the plumbing too high...)

I had the builder put on in my shop when I had the house built. It is invaluable for sure. I only wish I had one installed in the garage even a small one for water and to wash my hands.
    I want to create love in my woodworking with a love for woodworking.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Patel View Post
    So funny! I have the exact same set up, complete with riser blocks so the sink's at comfortable height (ok, because I ran the plumbing too high...)
    I had to get it up a bit to hit the drain height I needed. Side benefit, comfortable height ;-)

I should point out that plumbing and I have a long history of failure. This went in without a hitch. If you already have hook-ups and the floorspace, I strongly recommend it. The "hard" part was tapping into the drain but if you can glue ABS, you can do it.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Yep, invaluable...good for cleaning glue brushes and rollers and hands and paint brushes and, well, a myriad of other things!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

When we were shopping for our house, we thought we found the perfect place. When we saw that it had a sink in the garage/shop, we were sure.

I've been planning on raising it about six inches to get it to a more comfortable height and changing the faucet so I can attach a hose if I want to.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

When I lived in California I had one near the garden area that had a home made separator under the sink to keep the big items from going into the sewer. It came in very handy. I now have one on my deck that has a snap fitting on the water line and flex hose on the drain to let the water run on the ground away from the deck. I have to disconnect everything in the cold months to prevent freezing. I am going to put one in my basement that drains into a sump that has a separator at the drain outlet to catch things prior to entering the sump. The one on the deck does not have hot water but the one in my basement will.
    I do not have water in my barn/shop, the closest source is 200 feet away but I already have a stainless steel laundry tub destined for the barn and will be adding a point of use water heater that will be hooked to a 3/4 inch garden hose that will be a warm weather water source. Gotta have a sink where clean-up is needed.
    I am using 20 year old paint rollers and brushes because I have always had an area where I could get them clean with out messing up the house.
    David B

Quote Originally Posted by David G Baker View Post
    . . . I am going to put one in my basement that drains into a sump that has a separator at the drain outlet to catch things prior to entering the sump. . . .
    That's a very good idea. I'm thinking about how I could integrate that. I could also run it to the yard for gray water.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

John,
    I am on a septic system so grey water it will be. I seldom use any products that would hurt my lawn or ground water and when I do I use plastic or metal 55 gallon barrels to store the nasties after separating it from as much of the water as possible. If they are flammable I have a few evaporation pans that are far from any ignition sources.
    David B

I have leg extensions (out of PT pine) that raise mine about 8-10". No more back-aches when I'm spending a while washing my paint brushes and rollers.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Quote Originally Posted by John Schreiber View Post
    That's a very good idea. I'm thinking about how I could integrate that. I could also run it to the yard for gray water.
    IMHO, running into a sump is a bad idea. First, when I plumbed my basement, the inspector advised that grey water is not permitted (in my municipality) to go into a sump - if that sump is not draining to the sewer - as mine is not.

Also, don't pour vinegar down yr drain...

The majority of things that would go on my lawn is so diluted with water that there is not much of a worry about hurting my lawn. My lawn is mostly weeds that have been mowed for years. I live in a semi rural area so I don't have all of the regulations that high density neighborhoods have (yet, but probably will before to long because folks are electing or appointing people from the cities that love control and regulations).
    Why shouldn't I pour vinegar down my drain? A little acid might help kill a few of my weeds.
    David B