Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buy or dont buy

Buy or dont buy

I have been working on putting my shop together and ran into an posting listing a Powermatic 16" planer. It looks to be a model 160 for $250.00 OBO.

Should I look at buying it and just deal with the fact that it is a 3 phase motor?

If you are handy, go for it. The motor looks like it may be easy to change if you can get a single phase motor that is of the required horse power, if not a phase converter may work for you.
    David B

$250??? And you have to ask? Don't worry, it's probably already sold!
    David DeCristoforo

Its been listed for less than an hour.. I have already called on it. I am hoping it will still be there. Then I have to figure out how to move the darn thing if do get it.

For that price you could put a little dough into a 1PH motor and still be way ahead. Does it have the knife grinder? that would be worth $250 alone
    David DeCristoforo

If it works, and as a 3 phase machine, that should fetch $1000-1800 on ebay. It's an awesome planer. Whole different class than the 20" planers from Powermatic today. WAY more machine.

Not to hijack your thread but I have a brand new Baldor 5-hp single phase motor that I am looking to sell if you do end up getting it. It has never been turned on. PM me if interested.

For $250 it is a no-brainer. Thing looks like an ingot of cast iron with a motor attached to it.

If you have room and can invest some time/money in restoration, go for it!

Going to see it on Saterday. Offered to put a deposit on it, however just said stop by early as he can't move it out of there until then due to the rain and mud we have right now.

Lets hope that the sharpener is what I see sitting on top of it.

"Lets hope that the sharpener is what I see sitting on top of it."

That's the rail that the knife grinder rides on... it's a good sign that it's attached to the machine because that would indicate that the grinder is around somewhere...
    David DeCristoforo

That IS the sharpener you see on top of it.I can't tell if the motor and grinding wheel is there,though. Probably not,because IIRC,the motor and grinding wheel would be in the way with the sheetmetal top on the planer. Be sure to ask him if he still has the motor and grinding wheel. He should,since he has most of the parts there.

Blog Entries
    the sharpen alone is worth $250. I have one on mine and I love it.

It sold... To me for $250.00

I will post a few more pics of it. The rails for the grinder are there, but no grinder. I will post a few more pictures and an interesting detail about the front of it.

So here is is:

The Plywood panel in the front is a very cool aftermarket add on.

each "tick" on there represents 1/16 of an inch I believe. I didnt have time to look over it closer.

Overall it looks pretty good. There will be some restoration work to do, but he has brand new set of blades and it runs so that is a start.
    Last edited by Kirk Chester; 04-14-2009 at 9:59 PM.

You got a bargain Kirk.
    Those are built like tanks.
    It looks like a model 180.

Buy buy buy!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.