Thread: The Door Project

The Door Project

Finally got it done and installed. Solid cedar, light stain and polyurethane. Pardon the lousy photography. The interior shot is the actual color of both sides.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Impressive. I need to tackle a door sometime.
    Charlie Jones

Thats a mighty fine looking door unit!! Looks great!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

I love the style.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Rick, the door came out great. I really like the color and finish. When you say cedar, I assume that is something different from our eastern or western cedar. It really finished out nicely - good design as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    I love the style.

i'm thinking the same thing.

the spikes are just the right touch of gothic to an otherwise spanish mission type style, which when you think about it from a art history standpoint and look at rick's location, is perfect.

very well done.
    Last edited by Neal Clayton; 04-15-2009 at 12:21 AM.

wow that's a hefty sucker. Beautiful door though.

Agree with John K. on the finish. I have never seen cedar as I know it come out like that. Fantastic IMO really. Nicely done on build and finish.

How did you pull off the finish if I may ask?

Sarge..

The Door Project

Thanks all for the compliments.
    The wood is 'cedro amargo' AKA "Cedrela odorata L.

It is heavier than eastern or western US cedar. There is an even heavier cedar here called cedro maria, which I hardly ever use, my planer blades hate it.

I bought the tree near Paso Canoas and had it sawn into planks 15" wide (would have gone wider but my planer is only 15"), in 1 3/4" and 2 1/2" thickness, then took it to the kiln in San Isidro (150 miles) after three weeks in the kiln, back to my shop (70 miles), where we stickered it for a month with fans to equalize with our local humidity. Three of us, (me, Arsenio and Rudy) worked on the door for about a month, well we did other stuff as well, but there's about 400 man hours in it. The detail sanding was difficult and exasperating. I fussed with the stain mixture for a few days finally getting what I wanted, then we shot it with four or five coats of clear 2 part polyurethane. 280 grit sanding between coats. We could only shoot in the morning before 7AM for the heat and hunidity.

that's more motivation than i have .

i only get up before 8 when i have equipment rented that needs to be used and returned in the same day, heh.

Doors are not easy. Very fine job and I hope it serves you for many years to come.
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Thumbs up

Wow! That's incredible! Beautiful job!
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Exceptional ! Job well done !!
    MARK