Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Broke Ground on the new workshop!!

Shop update

Hi everyone, I have been busy with construcion so I haven't had a chance to follow up on your questions so here they are:

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Franz View Post
    Chuck -

Looks good - exciting progress. Is the new roof going to tie into the existingroof? If not, how will the water be drained from the junction area? Just curious.
    Yes it is going to tie in. It tied in a little funny though because the company that made the trusses made them 3 1/2 inches short in height. So it is going to have a valley like right next to another valley. It will look just fine by the time that you get it all together.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Jarvie View Post
    Looks nice. Are you doing radiant floor heating or running something from the house?
    I am not doing radiant heat. I wanted too in the original plan but decided that I didn't want to spend that much money on it. Instead I opted to put in a Modine HotDawg heater. It is a 45,000 BTU natural gas heater. It is power vented and completely sealed to prevent dust from entering the combustion chamber. It is right at the borderline between the 45,000 and 60,000 BTU heater. I opted to go with the 45. I figure that it will warm it up enough to the point that if I am wearing a sweatshirt I will be fine. I am not doing any AC either. It is going to be opening up the 8x8' garage door and the shop doors and let in acool breeze for me. I think that it will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Layton View Post
    Hi Chuck,

Your shop is looking really great. Are you going to plumb air in as well?

Sam
    Am I going to plumb air, I am not sure. If I do, it wont be in the walls. I think that it will just end up coming through the garage wall and into the shop going straight up and down the middle of the shop. I would then have a 50' retractable hose mounted on the ceiling or something. I saw an episode of The Wood Whisperer where he built an assembly table that had a compartment for the air compressor. I think that I might do something like that. Time will tell.

That should do it folks. The concrete guys will be here at 7AM to start pouring the slab. It will have all weekend to get rock hard!!! Then it is on with the electricians and what not. It is going to finish getting sheathed tomorrow and then it will continue to get shingled on Saturday. I am going turkey hunting for the weekend so I will see it again on Monday or so. I will post more pics probably tomorrow. Later.

Chuck

Chuck,
    Great looking addition! Thanks for the photos as they really do a nice job in showing off what you are working on. Have a question for you about the interior walls...drywall ceilings and upper walls, any chipboard or plywood at the lower levels? I see in one of your last posts you said about getting the g-doors up...might want to get your ceiling rocked first as it is a little easier to rock before having to work around the door brackets.
    Any luck on your Turkey hunt?? We have a ton of birds out this way west of Verona, had a few nephews bag their toms earlier. Good luck to you.
    Nice job overall and have to say I am just itching to get shop space of my own...all in due time!
    Keep the updates coming.
    Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Schmid View Post
    Chuck,
    Great looking addition! Thanks for the photos as they really do a nice job in showing off what you are working on. Have a question for you about the interior walls...drywall ceilings and upper walls, any chipboard or plywood at the lower levels? I see in one of your last posts you said about getting the g-doors up...might want to get your ceiling rocked first as it is a little easier to rock before having to work around the door brackets.
    Any luck on your Turkey hunt?? We have a ton of birds out this way west of Verona, had a few nephews bag their toms earlier. Good luck to you.
    Nice job overall and have to say I am just itching to get shop space of my own...all in due time!
    Keep the updates coming.
    Allen
    Hey Allen, the shop will be all drywall. I am in a wheelchair so I am hiring out for the drywall. The guy that I have doing it is real good, so I dont think that he will have a problem getting around it. As for the turkey hunting, I have had no luck. I am hunting around the Westfield area, north on 39 past Portage. Have heard them but have not seen them. Thats hunting though. Thanks for the input.

Chuck