Thread: Thien Separator question

Thien Separator question

I'm trying to make a Thien separator for use with a shopvac to serve as a dc for my bandsaw. Not ideal, but it's what I need to do for now.

The bandsaw has a 4" dust port. Ideally (because I already have these parts), I'd like to just run 4" to the separator lid, and then 2.5" from the separator to the shop vac.

Is this more or less advisable than converting the 4" port to 2.5" close to the saw, and then running 2.5" from there to the separator? Does it matter?

Any help appreciated.

I can't answer your specific question, but you might seek your answer at Phil's separator forum... I won't post the link since it goes to another forum, but you can google it.

Andy

The shop vac won't be able to produce enough CFM to effectively move enough dust off of the band saw. Of course a 5 HP cyclone with 8" pipe is insufficient for most band saws I have seen...

Understand that the band saw is going to be messy, but other than that, it's fine...

IF it were me doing it, I would go with 4" from the bandsaw to the separator, and then out of the separator, THEN reduce to 2.5". That way you can use your separator for an honest to goodness dust collector...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

I'd do as David suggests w/ one caveat: A good vac can collapse a weaker garbage can. I'd find as durable a 30-gallon can that you can, use 4" fittings (so some day you can use it w/ a real DC), and neck-down at the vac.

LOL... Yeah, I should have mentioned that!

There's not many choices in trash cans these days either!

Phil, you've seen guys brace the cans internally haven't you? Do they report success with that?

Honestly, a steel 55 gal drum is about ideal, but hard to come by in small quantities here...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Quote Originally Posted by David Hostetler View Post
    LOL... Yeah, I should have mentioned that!

There's not many choices in trash cans these days either!

Phil, you've seen guys brace the cans internally haven't you? Do they report success with that?

Honestly, a steel 55 gal drum is about ideal, but hard to come by in small quantities here...
    Some success, but it can be a lot of extra work.

You can find 55-gallon drums (and sometimes smaller) for cheap on Craigslist. At least around me (Milwaukee).

We work with 55gal and fiber drums, so I can get them in any size. I'm partial to the fiber ones because I don't have to go cutting the tops.

I actually have an old 4" portable dc motor that I'll use instead of the svac. Thanks!