Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nameplate Process?

Nameplates

I made quite a few of these for people restoring old automobiles and putting on machinery. I use alumimark material on my Epilog 24TT using 30 speed and 10 power with the focus about 1/16" above focus point.
    Epilog EXT 40 watt, Legend 24TT 45 watt, Corel 3X, Deckel pantographs, Meistergram 18-28 (2)

A tip to make cerdec darker is to spray the plate with pledge or put on a furniture oil , makes it nice and black.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Quote Originally Posted by Rodne Gold View Post
    A tip to make cerdec darker is to spray the plate with pledge or put on a furniture oil , makes it nice and black.
    That is a Tip I have never seen. Thank YOU !!!

AL
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".

Blog Entries
    Al,

As long as you realize the darkening is temporary... if someone wipes it down (say, with alcohol), it goes back to the dull black.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

color laser toner (slightly off topic)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    . . . color laser transfer is not durable in this application and laser sublimation is not uv safe though it would be better.
    Mike, is color laser transfer not suitable because of the "reverse video" effect with large black areas and "white" lettering? If it were black text on aluminum, would color laser transfer be suitable? Or do you feel that it still would not stand up to abuse in either case?

I have been considering buying equipment to do color laser transfer for legends on aluminum control panels (mainly black) but if you think it is not durable enough then I would like to know. Also, is it feasible to overcoat the black toner to make it more durable?

Richard

I would not use CLT in any application where it may be subject to use or wear or frequent cleaning. The only application on metal is for a plaque which, of course would get no handling or wear.

I use it for black on brass or aluminum plaque labels and my most common use is for name tags where I prefer to transfer it to white engraving laminate. It holds up well and because of the matte finish of the engraving plastic it will stand up t the fingernail test.

I frequently use laser sublimation for black on brass or aluminum as it cannot be removed. It will, over time, give in to uv deterioration.

This example is on brass but I use it on standard engraving aluminum in both brushed brass and polished aluminum.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mike Null; 04-18-2009 at 5:58 AM. Reason: sp
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7