Thread: DC Inlets for Lathe and Sander

DC Inlets for Lathe and Sander

Here are some ideas on how to construct DC inlets for several machines.

For the 12 inch swing lathe and the 6x48 belt sander I made two 12 inch diameter discs of 3/4 plywood, and cut them in half. Then I used 12 inch lengths from a piece of 6 inch diameter snaplock duct (originally 24 inches long) and screwed that to the outside of pairs of the plywood semicircles. Through the wonders of math, an unrolled piece of 6 inch snaplock just about exactly fits the outside of a 12 inch semicircle. The 4 inch PVC comes through one of of the plywood ends to collect the chips and dust. So one piece of snaplock made both these inlets. Added a few more pieces of ply for baffles and here's how they look:
    Dust Collector 011.jpgDust Collector 012.jpg

The DC inlet for the spindle sander is also made mostly from 3/4 ply. It is not as pretty, but it works well.
    Dust Collector 013.jpg

My table saw attachment is the traditional flex pipe to a connection that comes from underneath the saw. In addition, I have a floor sweep inlet, and I am still trying to figure out the best way to do the drill press - does anyone have any ideas to share on that one? I am thinking about making a drill press table and attaching the flex pipe through a hole in the fence.

My band saw is not in line with the other machines, so I will not attach that machine to the DC for now.

But everything else is connected to the Green Monster, which now looks like this:

Dust Collector 010.jpg

The vertical PVC pipe exhausts to the outside world (just a little).

Nice job Angie, and thanks for sharing with us. I am really interested in your dc unit and modifications (followed it on another thread you had sent).
    Great work!
    Allen