Thread: Hal Taylor Rocking Chair

Hal Taylor Rocking Chair

This is the first post of any of my work. The wood is California Black Walnut finished with two coats of danish oil.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mike, that is stunning!! Several comments - first the wood is beautiful. The pics obviously do not do it justice and I would like to see a close up of the headboard on the back. Did you do the steam bending? And, just the overall style is really inviting - makes one want to just settle in.

Finally, that is one heck of a build with just two coats of Danish! Just an outstanding rocker!

Thanks John. I had to resize the photos to get hem down to the allowable size. Not real up on this technology stuff. The back braces as well as the rockers are bent lamination. The most difficult part of that process is getting the thin strips of wood (less than 1/8") cut consistently to the correct thickness.

Most people that sit in the chair remark at how comfortable it is.

Hal's chairs are sooooo close to Maloof's is it scary.
    Chairs are not easy by no means and you have done well!
    Last edited by Dewey Torres; 04-16-2009 at 9:08 AM.
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

That is a gorgeous chair. Great design/execution, and the wood is fantastic.

Holy cow thats the nicest rocking chair Ive ever seen!! What gorgeous wood in that thing!! You are very talented and it shows in your work, kudos to you. I do see a Maloof influence. Dont know whether you meant that or not but it looks great either way.
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Wow that is beautiful. I love the character of that walnut. There isn't much down here in san diego.

Mike, that's a gorgeous chair and that walnut is simply stunning.

I've had Hal Taylor's plans for a year now and finally got some 8/4 Walnut a couple of weeks ago. I plan to start on one when I get home. I only hope it turns out half as well as yours.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Cody, I encourage you to get going on your chair. You can do it. Take your time and follow Hal's instructions. If you run into a glitch Hal is always glad to assist. I found it a very rewarding process. You will learn much about your woodworking skills. Good luck.

Just excellent as some of the pics are dark and it is hard for an ole man to see it in detail. I will agree with whomever about stunning finish with two coats of Danish.

Sarge..

Why doesn't my danish oil ever look that good after 2 coats?
    GO POKES!!

Aaron, I was with you on the danish thing until I learned the secret. If you will keep it just between you and me I will share the secret with you. The results are 100% the results of good prep. If you follow a process of sanding with 150,220,then 320 grit followed by a final polishing of the wood surface with a 500 grit abralon pad. Apply the first coat of oil let sit for 20 minutes or so and wipe it dry. Wait one week, polish with a 1000 grit abralon pad and recoat with oil and wipe dry again. It will look like this every time. Give it a try and let me know how it works. Remember its a secret just between you and me.

Hint: after the sanding and the first polish with the 500 grit abralon pad the wood should shine and look like it alread has a coat of finish on it.

Good luck.

wow !!!

wow indeed !!
    MARK