Thread: Calling all Red Sox fans!

Calling all Red Sox fans!

I know there are a few of you Creekers from New England and the Boston area so I need some help! My Dad is a huge Red Sox fan so I wanted to take him to the Sox v. Yankees game on his birthday (Aug 21). I checked Stubhub and almost passed out when I saw what they were asking for alot of those tickets!

I was hoping I could get an idea of half way decent places to sit that wouldn't be ridiculously expensive, such as the outfield grandstands or the bleachers. How is the view from there? How tiny are the seats?

I know that Sox/Yankees tickets go quick, but do you think it's wise to wait close to game day hoping the prices come down, or bite the bullet sooner to guarantee some seats?

Thanks!

Sounds like a great birthday present...too bad he wasn't born on a day when they were playing the mets
    If 8/21 is the only day you want to take him...then you are going to have to pay the big bucks. Anywhere in the stadium is going to be fun...right field box seats are the easiest to get...but they can be tough if you get too far out...there are a lot of poles that will block your view of either the batter or the pitcher...plus at least part of the infield.

Try to get as close to the field as possible...to avoid the poles..and stay out of the outfield grandstands unless you are up for some spilled beers and a lot of loud mouths.

Good Luck, and i think your idea of waiting for day of game is not a bad one...depends on how adventurous you are...plus stubhub is 2 blocks from the gates so you take the train into boston and you will walk right past it on your way ....its up to you how much you are willing to spend, but i would think for $150-$200 per ticket you should have decent seats.

Is there a reason why you want to go to a Sox / Yankees game? I used to live in Boston and wouldn't go anywhere near the fens when the Yankees were in town. Crazy people all around and the tix are always too expensive. IMHO I would pick up tickets before you go down. They will be available game day but the scalpers are worse than stubhub.

Tim gave some good advice about seats. I would definately stay away from the bleachers. You may as well enjoy it if you are going so get some good seats.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Morton View Post
    Sounds like a great birthday present...too bad he wasn't born on a day when they were playing the mets
    If 8/21 is the only day you want to take him...then you are going to have to pay the big bucks. Anywhere in the stadium is going to be fun...right field box seats are the easiest to get...but they can be tough if you get too far out...there are a lot of poles that will block your view of either the batter or the pitcher...plus at least part of the infield.

Try to get as close to the field as possible...to avoid the poles..and stay out of the outfield grandstands unless you are up for some spilled beers and a lot of loud mouths.

Good Luck, and i think your idea of waiting for day of game is not a bad one...depends on how adventurous you are...plus stubhub is 2 blocks from the gates so you take the train into boston and you will walk right past it on your way ....its up to you how much you are willing to spend, but i would think for $150-$200 per ticket you should have decent seats.
    It was close to $100 for standing room seats!

Thanks for the info though. We went to a Sox/Cleveland game last year and it cost a fraction of what they want for these seats! I don't mind saving some money for some good seats, but I can't believe you can't just go to the box office and buy some tickets. You almost have to buy Stubhub or other 'scalped' tickets at 3 or 4 times the face value! That used to be illegal!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Cuetara View Post
    Is there a reason why you want to go to a Sox / Yankees game?
    This game happens to fall right on my Dad's birthday so it seemed like a good idea (at first!)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Donahue View Post
    You almost have to buy Stubhub or other 'scalped' tickets at 3 or 4 times the face value! That used to be illegal!
    Sorry I didn't read closer that it is his birthday. And you are correct that you do have to buy from Stubhub or scalpers for tickets. The Sox have sold out every game for the past 460 something. It is a good time though.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Donahue View Post
    but I can't believe you can't just go to the box office and buy some tickets.
    they have sold out every game for the past 6 years...thats the one downside to Fenway, it only holds 36k people.

Try Craigslist...you might just find some season-ticket holders wanting to unload a few games.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.