Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: michigan sawmills?

michigan sawmills?

I've been trying to locate the local sawmills in southeast Michigan, so I can get rough sawn lumber and save some money. So far I've only found a couple.

Where are all the sawmills in SE Michigan?

Are you talking air dried or kiln dried?

I use LL Johnson in Charlotte for most of my work, and they deliver in several states for a reasonable charge, a flat fee by distance. They don't ever disappoint me and I buy sight unseen.

Whichever is available and cheaper.

What's the biggest difference between air and kiln dried?

Alan,
    try woodfinder.com they list several in the area.
    I buy most of my lumber from Armstrong in Milford - M59 and US23 area
    Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

You can also check woodweb.com, and the Forrestryforum.com. The latter is based in Harrison, MI and has a lot of Michigan sawyers on it.

RE the difference between AD and KD,

KD allows more precise control of the drying process, especially during the early stages (green to 35% MC). This results in less degrade and higher quality lumber.

KD allows the operator to bring the MC% down to 6 - 10%, which is the range that it needs to be for furniture or other indoor projects.

KD allows the operator to "sterilize" the wood at the end of the kiln cycle, thereby killing any unwanted critters (and their larvae) nesting in the wood such as powder post beetles, termites, emerald ash borers, etc.

Certain species, that are not as likely to attract insects (such as black walnut) do well with AD, as long as they have adequate time in the woodshop to lose the rest of their MC.

Other fast drying species (such as cypress and eastern red cedar), are commonly AD as well.

Quote Originally Posted by mike holden View Post
    Alan,
    try woodfinder.com they list several in the area.
    I buy most of my lumber from Armstrong in Milford - M59 and US23 area
    Mike
    So do I. It's only 5 miles down the road from me.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I use Armstrong too. They are an hour from me, but still the closest by far. I hear there are some mills down in the Jonestown area, but I haven't been down there yet.

There is remarkably little in the area though.

There are a few fellows getting ready to go to the Bath (Raven Farms near Lansing) sawmill. It'll be in a couple weeks. PM me for details.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Wink

I too use Armstrong in Highland.

Alan, where about are you located in Michigan? I know of a guy in Gladwin that sell mostly to cabinet shops so his lumber is very good quality and at great prices and he will also sell to the little guy at the same prices. All his wood is kiln dried.
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Alan;
    Was that your post on semiww?

Richard,
    I would like to get the name of the guy in Gladwin. I live near Clare Mi and have been looking for a local supplier.
    David B

+ 5 for Armstrongs nice guys. Just down the road.
    I have been in contact with LL Johnson and am planning on making a purchase from them in the near future.
    Thank You
    Ed

Lots of sawmill guys hang out at the forestry forum. And some are part time guys as well as full time sawmills. Seems like mills are showing up everywhere. Since I got mine, about 4 more have shown up near here. Sorry, not in Michigan. Jim

Quote Originally Posted by David G Baker View Post
    Richard,
    I would like to get the name of the guy in Gladwin. I live near Clare Mi and have been looking for a local supplier.
    I would be interested in them as well. We had a couple of decent ones up here but they bought molders and now want to pawn all of the leftover crap off on guys like me, so I am back to Johnsons. Gladwin is not too far, about 100 miles, I could do that.