Thread: Jeff Jewitt Equipment

Jeff Jewitt Equipment

Jeff Jewitt Spray Equipment
    I attended a Jeff Jewitt two seminar today and am going back tomorrow for the second day he is selling spray guns at a reduced show price and I was looking at the QualSpray gun model # QS-125WB spray gun or the QS-600wB-kit#1 does anyone have one of these guns and if so what are your thoughts?

Thanks Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

I spoke with Jeff a couple of times before buying and for my situation he recommended CA Technologies. He sells both. I'm not sure why he recommended CA Technologies, but I have a large industrial compressor, and quite a bit of experience spraying with conventional guns. I would trust Jeff's opinion.

I have the QS-125WB kit. I contacted him last fall with his recommendations, I'm not an experienced sprayer and that's the kit he recommended for me for water based finishes. Its compatible with my small pancake compressor and it seems to do a good job. I had to add a regulator at the gun to get good results.

The only other issue I have is that he standard cup size is pretty small, you can empty it pretty quickly... But that's upgradeable also.

So in all, I'd give it a thumbs up. Did he let you use them in the seminar?

Andy no not yet, and I don’t think we are. He is going to go over some spraying technique and equipment tomorrow, but this is a condensed two day version of his 5 day class so there is no hands on training as far as the participants in the group, but he himself is demonstrating and working with the different ways of finishing. The gun seems pretty good to me also and you get 3 tips, and a case, and it’s all stainless steel as far as the insides, and its $40.00 off regular price from his web site, but then again there’s nothing like getting first hand info from someone who owns one and how it works for them and if they like it. Jeff is an excellent finisher and presenter in regards to showing technique and how to finish and I am really enjoying and learning a lot at this seminar, but he also has to make a living and sales are part of it.
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

I was in the same boat as you and talked to Jeff and he recommended the 600, listen to the man he knows his stuff. Really great gun and Jeff was a real pleasure to deal with. (He did not talk down to me just because I was a spraying novice)
    Great guy, great company, great equipment!
    Rusty

Richard, I was on Jeffs site last week looking for a recipe, and ended up in the guns isle. That QS-600 kit caught my eye as well, let us know what you think of it if you buy please?

Andy, did he recommend that QS-125 kit just because of the water based finishes? Of course I'll ask him before I buy something, but it's always nice to get as much info as possible before the purchase.

If you see him tomorrow, tell him that his site is down. I just went over to Homesteadfinishing.com and it says "This Account Has Been Suspended".

Probably a glitch, but I'm sure he'd want to know.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

Quote Originally Posted by John Schreiber View Post
    If you see him tomorrow, tell him that his site is down. I just went over to Homesteadfinishing.com and it says "This Account Has Been Suspended".

Probably a glitch, but I'm sure he'd want to know.
    it's now homesteadfinishingproducts.com

I contacted him last year with the following wants/needs:

1) Wanted something for hobbyist, occaisional use, small-med projects
    2) Wanted something that would work w/ my small compressor
    3) Wanted something for Water based finishes (dont have a spray booth)
    4) Wanted something relatively affordable, but not "junk"

His recommendation for me was the QS-125 kit, but if you wanted something for larger projects or for spraying thicker finishes he recommeded an Accuspray 23K turbine powered sprayer.

So far I've only sprayed Target WR-stains, Ultraseal, and USL. But the sprayer is also certainly capable of spraying solvent based finishes (I just dont do it because I'm not setup with a spray booth in my garage).

Hope that helps!

Andy

I've been using the Accuspray system for about a dozen years. It's fantastic. I used to use the turbine setup, but switched over to a small IR Garage Mate compressor to run it. I've used it to spray guitars and furniture and it provides mirror finishes.

Last year I added the 3M Easy Clean System. You can use that with any sprayer. It allows you to turn the gun upside down and spray any angle, which made it very convenient. Plus it helps a bit with cleanups.

Jeff won't steer you wrong. Discuss your requirements with him and he will hook you up with a rig that will fit your needs. Be sure to discuss the range of finishes that you plan on spraying as that will guide his N/N recommendation.

Hope I'm not too late replying. I have the QS-600 WB and am very happy with it. I have sprayed thin dye stains up to latex paint with out any trouble. It's a well made gun and lays down a nice finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    Richard, I was on Jeffs site last week looking for a recipe, and ended up in the guns isle. That QS-600 kit caught my eye as well, let us know what you think of it if you buy please?

Andy, did he recommend that QS-125 kit just because of the water based finishes? Of course I'll ask him before I buy something, but it's always nice to get as much info as possible before the purchase.
    Steve I just got back from the seminar and I did get a QS-600 kit. Jeff did demonstrate both guns and they were the same in regards to quality of construction and inner workings. Both sprayed equally the same. There are just a few differences. Here are my observations / review: (both kits run $219.00 on his site)

QS-125:
    Smaller cup
    Smaller handle size (witch makes it good for getting into tight spaces and maneuverability)
    One extra spray needle for thinner products (like if you want to spray stain)
    Jeff stated this gun can spray any finish except latex paint and a larger spray needle is not available and some thicker finishes may need to be thinned down more.
    Gun can run on just about any small pancake compressor (check with Jeff before buying)
    Spray pattern on gun can be turned down to make a very small pattern as if you were air brushing with it.
    No regulator at end of gun so you have to adjust air flow at compressor
    Larger cup and regulator are available for about $60 to $70.00

QS-600 kit:
    Larger cup
    Regular size handle
    Can spray any finishes, including latex paint (but you need to get an extra needle for that application)
    Jeff stated that this gun can spray stain as well
    Comes with a regulator so you can adjust air pressure at gun
    Can run on a small portable air compressor but needs to be a little bigger that a pan cake, mine is a small portable two tank(PC) and that’s what Jeff was using at the show(check with Jeff)
    Spray pattern can’t go as small as the QS-125 but can go fairly small
    An extra needle would cost about $40.00 so you could spray latex

Conclusion In my option:
    (Being a novice with only some spraying under my belt): both guns are a good quality. But I bought the QS-600 due to the fact I can use the QS-600 for any application. I did like the small feel of the QS-125 but the cup was very small and had no regulator at the gun so I was thinking to just upgrade to a larger cup and regulator for about $70.00 but then I could not spray latex paint, so I went with the QS-600 because I can do more things with this gun than the QS-125 with a larger cup and regulator for $30.00 less (end results once pricing everything out) and I can also spray latex that I could not with the QS-125. But if you only have a small pan cake compressor and latex is not something you need to do, I wouldn’t be afraid of QS-125 gun it works equally as well.

Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Quote Originally Posted by richard poitras View Post
    Steve I just got back from the seminar and I did get a QS-600 kit. Jeff did demonstrate both guns and they were the same in regards to quality of construction and inner workings. Both sprayed equally the same. There are just a few differences. Here are my observations / review: (both kits run $219.00 on his site)

QS-125:
    Smaller cup
    Smaller handle size (witch makes it good for getting into tight spaces and maneuverability)
    One extra spray needle for thinner products (like if you want to spray stain)
    Jeff stated this gun can spray any finish except latex paint and a larger spray needle is not available and some thicker finishes may need to be thinned down more.
    Gun can run on just about any small pancake compressor (check with Jeff before buying)
    Spray pattern on gun can be turned down to make a very small pattern as if you were air brushing with it.
    No regulator at end of gun so you have to adjust air flow at compressor
    Larger cup and regulator are available for about $60 to $70.00

QS-600 kit:
    Larger cup
    Regular size handle
    Can spray any finishes, including latex paint (but you need to get an extra needle for that application)
    Jeff stated that this gun can spray stain as well
    Comes with a regulator so you can adjust air pressure at gun
    Can run on a small portable air compressor but needs to be a little bigger that a pan cake, mine is a small portable two tank(PC) and that’s what Jeff was using at the show(check with Jeff)
    Spray pattern can’t go as small as the QS-125 but can go fairly small
    An extra needle would cost about $40.00 so you could spray latex

Conclusion In my option:
    (Being a novice with only some spraying under my belt): both guns are a good quality. But I bought the QS-600 due to the fact I can use the QS-600 for any application. I did like the small feel of the QS-125 but the cup was very small and had no regulator at the gun so I was thinking to just upgrade to a larger cup and regulator for about $70.00 but then I could not spray latex paint, so I went with the QS-600 because I can do more things with this gun than the QS-125 with a larger cup and regulator for $30.00 less (end results once pricing everything out) and I can also spray latex that I could not with the QS-125. But if you only have a small pan cake compressor and latex is not something you need to do, I wouldn’t be afraid of QS-125 gun it works equally as well.

Richard
    Great info! Thanks for posting it!