Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: CNC Gun stocks

  1. #1

    CNC Gun stocks

    Hi Everyone,
    Looking for advise. I would like to get into building custom gun stocks and was thinking of utilizing a CNC Router for production. I really do not know that much about them. Looking for recomendations on companies or do it your self kits that have machines that would be able to shape the stock and cut the various clearance slots needed in gun stocks. I am just getting started looking into this technology, so any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Bob Wilson

  2. #2
    Bob

    There are a number of threads relative to your question. I suggest doing a Google search for cnc machines and ShopBot in particular.
    Mike Null

    St. Louis Laser, Inc.

    Trotec Speedy 300 Newing Hall 350 Hot Stamping
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation Sand Carving Graphtec CE5000-60
    Evolis Card Printer

  3. #3
    Spend some time reading here:


    And perusing this:

    http://www.shopbottools.com/

    And Also here:

    http://camaster.com/index.php

    ANd Here:

    http://camheads.org/
    Last edited by Andy Hoyt; 07-07-2010 at 12:51 PM.


    Support the Creek Please
    DONATE ! .


    SKYPE# : CLASSICMARINE1

  4. #4
    Thanks for the sites and advice. Time for a little homework!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    portland oregon
    Posts
    1,248
    a gun stock really needs a rotary axis. doing it as a 4 sided 3d cut i think would be a a real pain.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

  6. #6
    gunstock most are machined on 2 sides similar to the pinewood car in the attached thread, i have a friend doing this i will get some pic's. i am a real fan of index lathing and yes it can be done with 4rth axis which both the machines have,



    jim

  7. #7
    Robert - I was a professional engraver for over 20 years (before I got smart and got into computers, yeah I'm old) so I can offer some insight - If you're planning on doing this for some extra money then do what you can with what you can afford, learn and enjoy the process - BUT if you want to play with the big boys be prepared to spend some serious time and money and be prepared to put up with some people that deal in .000" tolerences and pieces of wood that may cost upwards of $1000.00 and much more for just a blank and that's on the very conservative side - I'm not trying to rain on your parade just trying to warn that there might be some troublesome weather ahead - I hope you take my comments with the good intentions that they are made - Dennis Brooker

    FYI - You would need an FFL in order to have other peoples firearms in your possession.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    portland oregon
    Posts
    1,248
    Quote Originally Posted by james mcgrew View Post
    gunstock most are machined on 2 sides similar to the pinewood car in the attached thread, i have a friend doing this i will get some pic's. i am a real fan of index lathing and yes it can be done with 4rth axis which both the machines have,



    jim
    I would think to hollow out the place for the gun would be a real pain without a 4th axis.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

  9. #9
    steve most of what i have seen were pistol handles, nice insert type stuff, i am ordering 4rth axis on new the new machine as when i ordered the second one i was not ready for 4rth axis yet, still looking for the right software. jim

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    portland oregon
    Posts
    1,248
    Quote Originally Posted by james mcgrew View Post
    steve most of what i have seen were pistol handles, nice insert type stuff, i am ordering 4rth axis on new the new machine as when i ordered the second one i was not ready for 4rth axis yet, still looking for the right software. jim
    now i get you. I was thinking rifle. I can't imagine the hassle to do it flat.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    E. Hanover, NJ
    Posts
    369
    Gunstocks are made on a duplicating maching using a pattern for the template. After a pattern is made, either custom or stock, the finished item is produced in the final wood.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Eugene, Oregon
    Posts
    1,731
    Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Fiore View Post
    Gunstocks are made on a duplicating maching using a pattern for the template. After a pattern is made, either custom or stock, the finished item is produced in the final wood.
    That would make sense, make the pattern out of a less expensive piece of wood then make the "real thing" when you are sure everything is as it should be.

    Gary
    I refuse to participate in this recession!


  13. #13
    HDPF = Home Depot Pink Foam..... It's your friend.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hair View Post
    That would make sense, make the pattern out of a less expensive piece of wood then make the "real thing" when you are sure everything is as it should be.

    Gary


    Support the Creek Please
    DONATE ! .


    SKYPE# : CLASSICMARINE1

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    E. Hanover, NJ
    Posts
    369
    Here is a good link to see how a gun stock duplicator works.
    http://www.wood-carver.com/moregunstock.html

    With custom stocks, the idea is that you fit the template to the shooter using a rasp to remove material and Bondo to build up other areas. Once the template fits the shooter perfectly, the final stock can be cut in the expensive wood.

  15. #15

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •