Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Router bit adapter for Delta shaper

Router bit adapter for Delta shaper

I am considering buying a used Delta shaper but I already have a pretty good collection of 1/4 and 1/2 inch router bits. I've seen some lower end Grizzly shapers advertised with adapters that allow the use of router bits.

Does anyone know of something similar that could be used with the Delta?

Thanks.

If this is the Delta "heavy duty" shaper, you can order a router collet from any Delta dealer.
    David DeCristoforo

I've been looking for a reasonably priced one for awhile.

I think Delta wants a mint for just the collet adapter? Dewalt/Delta Service Net no longer lists them as available online and says contact a service center.

Woodworker's Supply wants $320 for the 43-800!!!!

Also, there are two different models with different tapers depending which model Delta shaper you have (see pics below) as Dave Torro found out and reported in this thread.

Tools Direct, Tools for Less, Tools Plus and Mike's Tools sell the 43-800 cheaper at around $170 -$180:

43-800

# Adapts shaper for use with router bits
    # Includes 1/4" and 1/2" collets for use with a wide variety of bits
    # Installs easily in place of standard spindle

Again make sure it will fit your shaper. The 43-800 fits the Delta heavy-duty wood shapers 43-424, 43-420, and 43-437

Tools Plus also carries the 43-824 which is a little cheaper and fits Delta 43-379, 43-370, 43-372, 43-373, 43-375, 40-384, 40-385, and 40-386

43-824
    Last edited by Alan Schaffter; 04-18-2009 at 5:08 PM.

www.ballewsaw.com this is where i bought mine about 2 months ago for 160.00 shipped.i think itr works great.hope this helps jim.

Quote Originally Posted by jim sauterer View Post
    www.ballewsaw.com this is where i bought mine about 2 months ago for 160.00 shipped.i think itr works great.hope this helps jim.
    I couldn't find it can you link to the item.

Contact Richard at the OWWM site. I just got one from him for $75 including shipping and it works great.

Does it hold 1/2" and 1/4" bits?

Any more detail on how to contact Richard?

I've got one of Richard's also. It's a Grizzly remachined for delta HD shapers. HI know they fit older ones, you'll have to check with him whether it fits new ones and/or what years. He has a web site here:

https://owwm.homeunix.com:3443/

Pete

Bob, I have a H.D. Delta-Model 43-361. Have several router bit adapters to fit this series. Also 2 smaller shank (7/16) that are too small to fit my series. Get up with me if you are interested.Any body else?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Bradley View Post
    I've got one of Richard's also. It's a Grizzly remachined for delta HD shapers. HI know they fit older ones, you'll have to check with him whether it fits new ones and/or what years. He has a web site here:

Pete
    I order one from Richard (Andrews) today.

Thanks all!

Shaper Spindle Needed

I have the Delta Heavy Duty Shaper with this newer style spindle taper. I got it for a song, but NO spindle. I got the router bit adapter though. Did someone say a fellow on OWWM modified a Grizzly spindle to fit? What is the modification. I have a mill and a lathe....
    Otherwise anyone have a spare????

Marty

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Schaffter View Post
    I've been looking for a reasonably priced one for awhile.

I think Delta wants a mint for just the collet adapter? Dewalt/Delta Service Net no longer lists them as available online and says contact a service center.

Woodworker's Supply wants $320 for the 43-800!!!!

Also, there are two different models with different tapers depending which model Delta shaper you have (see pics below) as Dave Torro found out and reported in this thread.

Tools Direct, Tools for Less, Tools Plus and Mike's Tools sell the 43-800 cheaper at around $170 -$180:

43-800

# Adapts shaper for use with router bits
    # Includes 1/4" and 1/2" collets for use with a wide variety of bits
    # Installs easily in place of standard spindle

Again make sure it will fit your shaper. The 43-800 fits the Delta heavy-duty wood shapers 43-424, 43-420, and 43-437

Tools Plus also carries the 43-824 which is a little cheaper and fits Delta 43-379, 43-370, 43-372, 43-373, 43-375, 40-384, 40-385, and 40-386

43-824

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Robertson View Post
    Bob, I have a H.D. Delta-Model 43-361. Have several router bit adapters to fit this series. Also 2 smaller shank (7/16) that are too small to fit my series. Get up with me if you are interested.Any body else?
    Charles: I would be interested in an adaptor for a 43-361. That is the machine I have. Let me know if you still have some available.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Bradley View Post

Pete
    Pete:
    I tried to contact Richard at the website listed. But, it does not seem to work for me. Is there another way to contact him?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Amabile View Post
    Pete:
    I tried to contact Richard at the website listed. But, it does not seem to work for me. Is there another way to contact him?
    For some reason the link to Richard's website isn't working right now. I checked for his Email address and found all my communications with him have been via PM on the OWWM site, so I can't give you an email address, either. He rebuilt my HD spindle cartridge last year and did an outstanding job, and I suspect his router bit adapters are first class, too. I suggest to get in touch with him you go over to OWWM.org, register, and post a message in The Shop asking him to get in touch with you regarding an adapter. He should reply in short order.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cav View Post
    For some reason the link to Richard's website isn't working right now. I checked for his Email address and found all my communications with him have been via PM on the OWWM site, so I can't give you an email address, either. He rebuilt my HD spindle cartridge last year and did an outstanding job, and I suspect his router bit adapters are first class, too. I suggest to get in touch with him you go over to OWWM.org, register, and post a message in The Shop asking him to get in touch with you regarding an adapter. He should reply in short order.
    Dave:

Thanks for the lead on how to get in touch with Richard. I registered on OWWM.0rg, but don't have the rights to post as yet. I will give your suggestion a try. It sounds like there is no way to simply PM him at that site (no list of members, etc.)