Thread: Veneer Questions

Veneer Questions

I recently recieved a large collection of veneer pieces from my brother-in-law. His grandfather repaired and refinished furniture for a living in the early 60's. No one in his immediate family works with wood, so it was given to me. Most of the pieces are 1/28 or thicker. Some of the pieces are pretty wavy. I don't work with veneer very often and was wondering if veneer gets to be too old, or dried out. None of it falls apart when I move it. It all seems to be in pretty good shape. What is the best way to work with this stuff? I understand that there are softeners and/or relaxers for veneer. Which is the best? Also, if you have any ideas on some good uses for it, let me know, because I'm on a learning curve here! I've attached some pics, if you see anything you recognize, please let me know. I'm not sure what some of this stuff is.
    Attached Images Attached Images

A light spray with mix of water and glycerine will soften it enough.
    Then clamp between two flat surfaces with paper either side to absorb the water. Change paper every day for about a week or until dry.
    I use two kitchen bench off cuts. They are 50 mm thick.
    Steven Thomas

It is ALL completely ruined and dangerous, send it to me for proper disposal.

It will probably all be usable unless there is something I can't see.

For TONS of info presented in an approachable way hit Joewoodworker dot com

Edit: Just saw the inlays, those are probably serously good inlays, actually made from different species not just the dyed junk you get today!
    Last edited by Van Huskey; 01-26-2010 at 10:13 PM.

Unless you do marquetry, having a bunch of short pieces of non-consecutive veneer is not of great value. If any of it is consecutive, make sure you keep it in order. You can use consecutive veneer in various match patterns - it has to be consecutive in order for the grain to match piece to piece.

Random order veneer can also be used for furniture repair if that's something you do.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I think you could some of the pieces as "color" pieces in jewelry boxes. Maybe in the inner panel of a lid where it will be flush. Also as the inset panels inside the small door of a jewelry box. Also you would need enough for both sides of the panel in most cases.

Other than that, I have to agree that small pieces of veneer will be hard to use other than the uses mentioned by Mike Henderson.

-R

drool!

I think that is quite a nice assortment. Anyone doing marquetry or small projects would love it. There does seem to be some consecutive sheets of crotch walnut there. Those packages of banding for inlay could be worth something also. There seems to be enough banding for a few pieces of furniture at least. +1 on the veneer softener. I haven't tried the home brew softener, but the commercial type works well for me. The tape on the ends of some those veneer sheets is to help keep splits from developing, and to hold it together if they do. I for one would be happy if I had inherited that veneer.
    Oh yeah, You Suck!

This is the veneer softener that I like best:

http://www.veneersupplies.com/produc...roducts_id=616

Good stuff, and great company to do business with. They have all the other stuff you'll be wanting for veneering too.