Thread: Waterlox Satin Finish

Waterlox Satin Finish

I am finishing a lowboy for my daughter and son-in-law. It is made of tiger maple, with analine dye. I put a few coats of Waterlox sealer/finish and it is looking good. She just told me that she would prefer a satin finish. No problem since I have a can of Waterlox satin finish on the shelf. The problem is it is about 33% full and has skimmed over just a bit. I have a few questions:

1. Can I use the finish that has skimmed over? Has the skim damaged the product?

2. This can is about 2 years old...is that too old to use?

3. Can I use another finish over the sealer/finish that is on the piece now?

Thanks,

John

John,

Get a new can. It makes NO sense whatsoever to risk ruining a project for $20 worth of materials. Once skimmed, I get rid of it. I suggest staying with the satin Waterlox, as it is so easy to apply, and perfectly compatible with what you already put on the lowboy.

Quote Originally Posted by John Towns View Post
    I am finishing a lowboy for my daughter and son-in-law. It is made of tiger maple, with analine dye. I put a few coats of Waterlox sealer/finish and it is looking good. She just told me that she would prefer a satin finish. No problem since I have a can of Waterlox satin finish on the shelf. The problem is it is about 33% full and has skimmed over just a bit. I have a few questions:

1. Can I use the finish that has skimmed over? Has the skim damaged the product?

2. This can is about 2 years old...is that too old to use?

3. Can I use another finish over the sealer/finish that is on the piece now?

Thanks,

John
    Al
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/buttons/fotc.gif
    Sandal Woods - Fine Woodworking

Al,

Thanks. I will do exactly what you said.

John

it's likely the flattener that you're seeing on the top. if you filter it out you'll get the same thing as the original. so yeah you need a new can if satin is what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Neal Clayton View Post
    it's likely the flattener that you're seeing on the top. if you filter it out you'll get the same thing as the original. so yeah you need a new can if satin is what you want.
    Afraid that's not so. Flatteners are heavier than finishes and sink to the bottom of the can.

But, you are right, any finish that has skinned over must be replaced. Waterlox uses some "hotter" thinners and does not have the shelf life after opened of most other oil based finishes.
    Howie.........