Thread: Pocket screw reference

Pocket screw reference

I need to build some plywood cabinets for my shop. Since shop time is always in short supply, I want to do it as quickly as possible. I was thinking of using pocket screws wherever possible. Is there a good reference for building cabinets with pocket screws?

I've heard some bad things about Kreg's videos, so I'm hoping someone has some other suggestions.

Thanks.

If all plywood, I would use biscuits. They're pretty fast. And, if speed were the greatest factor, where appropriate, I would use butt joints, glue and screws.

I have no problems with their website.
    Honestly, though, it's not that hard. The hardest thing is clamping the pieces so they don't squirrel around when you screw them.

The Kreg Trim DVD is worth buying, two hours long and a lot of good ideas, the rest of the DVDs are very simple. They also have a cabinet assembly booklet that is good. There are some free videos on utube that show the basics.
    Scott

You can check out The Pocket Hole Drilling Jig Project Book by Danny Proulx (here is a link from Amazon). There are a couple of cabinet projects with pocket holes in this book.

I borrowed a copy from the library, and it was a good reference for pocket hole joinery. It's funny how many people love using pocket holes, but there is not a lot of information on getting up to speed with the jigs and screws and applications.

Edit: The Sommerfeld tongue and groove video also has some examples of building cabinets with pocket screws. Not as thorough as the above book but it does address using their jig. I watched their video at the woodworking show, but I think you can buy it also. Though it's a little lame to have to pay for an infomercial for tools and jigs.
    Last edited by Brian Smith3; 04-23-2009 at 3:18 PM. Reason: Added the second reference

Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions. I took a quick look at a youtube video and a Kreg video and decided it wasn't that hard. I've used biscuits and glue/screws before and neither was much fun (I hate glue-ups). The pocket screws went together in about the same amount of time as the other methods using a pocket jig (not a K3 or K4) and seem plenty strong.

I did have a little trouble with keeping the parts aligned, especially since I was using 3/4" AC ply (not exactly flat, sometimes), but a little persuasion and creativity with clamps worked fine.

Thanks again.