Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite sayings about life? Please contribute.

Another that I like,
    When life gives you lemons, find someone who got Tequila! (?)

I refuse to hold a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
    The speed of light is much faster than the speed of sound; is that why some people look so bright until they say something?

It's not mine but it does make a lot of sense.

"Never argue with a stupid person, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

When someone is selling something at, to me, a higher price than its real value, my expression is

"They are really proud of that thing"

My second best expression, being raised in the south, is when things are going really good for someone, I tend to say..

"You're in high cotton now"

Another one. . .

a corollary on a Mark Twain:

"Don't let college get in the way of your education", by my late father some 32 years ago upon my initial departure for "higher education".

Brian

"When all else fails, read the instructions."
    - My Dad

"No matter where you go, there you are."
    - From the film "Buckaroo Bonzai and the Hong Kong Cavaliers Across the 8th Dimension" which is also my favorite film title.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

"No other success can compensate for failure in the home" -- David O. McKay

"An uncritical open mind is little more than a trash can." --Me

"Freedom granted only when it is known beforehand that its effects will be beneficial is not freedom." --Friedrich August von Hayek

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H. L. Mencken

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand." --Milton Friedman
    "History is strewn with the wrecks of nations which have gained a little progressiveness at the cost of a great deal of hard manliness, and have thus prepared themselves for destruction as soon as the movements of the world gave a chance for it." -Walter Bagehot

its nice to be important but more important to be nice

if you dont do anything you cant do anything wrong

The ninety-ninety rule:

It takes 90% of the available time to get the first half of the job done, and the other 90% of the available time to get the second half of the job done.

Live a balanced life - learn some and think some and draw and paint and sing and dance and play and work every day some - Robert Fulghum taken from "all I really need to know I learned in kindergarten"

If you havent read this book i urge you to do so....

To live is to fly , both low and high......Townes Van Zant

Some people are like slinkies, not very useful, but fun to through down stairs.

I don't like to tresspass, but sometimes you just find yourself over the line...
    B Dylan
    Blood will flow when flesh and steel are one - Sting

When you're up to your eyes in alligators, it's hard to remember that you were sent to drain the swamp!
    Author unknown
    Mickey

This one was my mother's:

Mind your manners, you will need them if you have to appear before the queen.

Mom was English.

Be careful... The toes you step on today may be connected to the butt you have to kiss tomorrow!

... The early bird may get the worm.... but the second mouse gets the cheese.