• Center

8 16.67%
  • Bottom

38 79.17%
  • Other

2 4.17%

Thread: Mounting Full Extension Slides

Mounting Full Extension Slides

Finally after almost 18 months, I ready to put the drawers in my router table. As I grabbed the drawers slides and the drawer boxes, I wondered where would be the best mounting location? At the top, the bottom, or in the center? Where do you mount yours?

Anthony,
    I prefer bottom mount (MHO). What type of slides do you have?
    Last edited by Eric Roberge; 04-20-2009 at 9:30 AM.

Though I mount mine on the bottom of the drawer sides I can't give you a logical reason for why I do that except to say that's how I've always done it!
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

I have to admit that I've never used full extension slides so I'll be watching to see what kind of replies you get.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Blog Entries
    About 3/8" up from the bottom of the drawer. Don't know why.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.
    About 1/4 to 1/2 way up from the bottom. Some larger drawers are heavy even when empty and that position seems to keep the weight balanced and makes them easier to get in and out.
    Retired, living and cruising full-time on my boat.
    Currently on the Little Tennessee River near Knoxville

I like the bottom, it's easy to just set the drawer on the bench and screw on the slides. HOWEVER, make for sure that you know what is going to move, and how much when you open the drawers. I know a guy that made a big inset drawer cabinet, but failed to take into account the fact that the slides hang down as far as they do when the second stage starts to slide. This caused the next drawer down to open as well. Tried to convience my wife that it was a convienience feature, but she didn't buy it. Just make sure you know the clearances. Guess that pearl applies to practically any way that you might mount them!

And the bottoms have it!

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Edwards View Post
    Though I mount mine on the bottom of the drawer sides I can't give you a logical reason for why I do that except to say that's how I've always done it!

Same here. The part of the slide that attaches to the drawer itself, I mount 3/4" up from the bottom of the drawer side. Then what goes in the cabinet ends up 5/8" up from the bottom of the opening using the same spacer because of I hold my stretchers down a 1/8" from the face frame.

I don't think there is really a wrong answer to this. If there is, I can't think of it

In line with the pull.

If you want to get picky, the most efficient place for a side-mount slide is directly in line with the drawer pull. That way the force to pull the drawer out is directly along the slide.

On most drawers it doesn't matter, but the taller/heavier the drawer the more benefit you gain from this.

Then I guess I go with the bottom edge, as the drawers will have finger pull fronts to avoid any protuding drawer hardware for me to snag anything on.

If you put the slides @ the top, anytime you were to grab the drawer side when open, you would get grease on your hands from the slides being at the top.

Bottom here too. And that's only because I use the Kreg drawer slide mounting tool. (http://www.kregtool.com/products/okp...p?PRODUCT_ID=6) And that's where it puts them.

-Brian