Thread: This is Woodworking

This is Woodworking

this topic is a continuation of a discussion that was started in the "favorite woodworking magazine" thread. im starting this thread so we can discuss some ideas for an E-magazine that is all about professional woodworking.

in the other thread i think we started to say what it is we dont like about the commercially available woodworking magazines but to reiterate it and to get others into the discussion lets start by stating what we dont like about the typical woodworking magazine and what we would like to see.
    Last edited by sean m. titmas; 04-19-2009 at 9:12 PM.
    S.M.Titmas.

"...I had field experience, a vocabulary and a criminal mind, I was a danger to myself and others."

-Anthony Bourdain

Blog Entries
    Too many times the tool reviews are for tools that most hobbyists can't afford.

Most of the plans are for things you wouldn't build once you get out of 8th grade shop class.

I find they leave the key instruction out alot. You get right to the point where they are about to do the most challenging part and they show it as "done".
    Also get rid of the stupid looking male models and use REAL people. American Woodworker and Wood magazine does this and its the most absurd thing Ive ever seen. Open up Popular Woodworking and you see Glenn Huey, Fine Woodworking can feature Phil Lowe. That makes me want to read the article way more than seeing some 20 yr old stud muffin with his little tool belt on and his fresh from the salon hair. Stupid.
    Tool reviews are almost always biased, least it seems that way often.
    I can do without jigs and fixtures and shop furniture. Most folks I know who have been in woodworking for more than a couple of years are already beyond that for the most part, or are already aware of most of these things. Once in a very blue moon something will come along that makes me say "hhmmm". Other than that its the same old Sand paper organizer, sharpening station, blade holder, clamp rack etc. Id rather see more projects. For me its period furniture and turning but I think every issue is big enough for a large variety of projects each month. How about a "shaker corner" or a "mission feature" in every issue for example? And of course something from the 18th century in every issue!!
    Last edited by Jim Kountz; 04-19-2009 at 9:27 PM.
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

I'd like to see something less about tools and more about developing skills. More than any one topic, I think it would be nice to give the author several issues to spread his topic out on. Rather than try to address all the little tricks to finishes, the author could go through the various aspects of selecting a finish, preparing for a finish, apply the finish, touching up and/or correct blemishes....
    Last edited by Greg Peterson; 04-19-2009 at 9:36 PM.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

One of the advantages of using the digital magazine format is that the author is not limited by the amount of pages he can write. 1 page or 20 pages, you can write as much or as little as you want.
    S.M.Titmas.

"...I had field experience, a vocabulary and a criminal mind, I was a danger to myself and others."

-Anthony Bourdain

For/about pro woodworkers leaves me out.
    Heck, I learn almost as much reading the ads in mags, as I do in reading the articles.
    Even with, or because of, my limited skills, I would enjoy the in depth process articles mentioned earlier.
    Gene
    Life is too short for cheap tools
    GH

Quote Originally Posted by sean m. titmas View Post
    One of the advantages of using the digital magazine format is that the author is not limited by the amount of pages he can write. 1 page or 20 pages, you can write as much or as little as you want.
    Excellent point!! I would subscribe to that magazine in a minute if it were done correctly. I subscribed to FWW online for a while until I got a copy of their back issues on disc. But for new content from a new magazine online, that would be awesome!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.