Thread: I am sure this is a scam-

I am sure this is a scam-

Good Evening,

I posted a Treo phone on Craigslist this afternoon, and got a response asking if I would accept paypal. I said yes, then got a response saying that he would send me a 150.00 to ship it internationally. The phone was listed at 50.00. Do they put the money in my account and then take it out?

Thanks,
    Kerry

Scam. You will lose your phone and $100

As Leo said.

Paypal payment with stolen credit card, you pay for the shipping, then the credit card owner reports it.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Thats what I thought. Thanks for the replys!

Number one rule for Craigslist: Cash only.

No checks and no shipping.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Adams View Post
    Good Evening,

Do they put the money in my account and then take it out?

Thanks,
    Kerry
    No.
    They produce a fake bank check for payment,and rely on the fact that you have shipped the item before the bank realizes the bank check, or money order is fake.
    If you play it out long enough. They'll promise to send you a bank check(fake) for a much greater amount, and try to get you to send them a check (real) for an amount that makes it look like you are really making out.

Internet search under Nigerian Scam will show you how the mechanics of the con work.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Only potential protection from this is to say you will ship the phone 6-mos AFTER payment has cleared. That should possibly protect you from chargebacks since it is after the normal 3-mos waiting period. If the buyer wants it enough they will wait, or scurry back into their hole.