Thread: Ta-Da ... My first peppermill

Ta-Da ... My first peppermill

Got to make my first pepper mill in a class on Sat. Been putting of getting a pepper mill until I could turn my own.
    I am so glad I took the class instead of going solo. Turns out the turning is the easiest part. All the drilling and fixturing is the hard part. Would have been a very frustrating experience without some guidance.

Got to turn a new wood too - Bubinga. Very dense pretty wood. I like the bit of sap wood that was there.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Great looking mill Rick. They will get easier everyone you do. Really nice piece of wood to. What kind of finish did you use?
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Rick - great Ta-Da photo! Made me laugh! Great looking pepper mill! Very pretty wood, good form and finish! Glad to hear the class worked out for you!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

The finish is Friction Polish. I would choose a more durable finish for future mills, but I can keep this one looking good.

Rick,

Great looking peppermill. I haven't had the chance to turn one yet myself. I want to take a class at woodcrafts instead of venturing solo on it. The wood contrast looks great on yours.
    Billy

As your mill shows, wood selection is also an important part of the process.
    Nice Selection - Great Mill!
    Change One Thing

Thumbs up

The first peppermill is the hardest to do. It gets a lot easier after you've made a few. After a while you can practically do them in your sleep. Remember there is more than one way to make a peppermill. As you mentioned the turning portion is the easy part. I know, as I tried several different drilling routines before settling on the one that fits me and my tools best. BTW, I usually recommend a softer wood for the first peppermill, Bubinga is not the easiest wood to drill, turn or finish. But yours looks good.

Nice mill, Rick. I've been wondering if I should take a class too, but I hate to break my self-taught badge of honor.
    Mark

You can sometimes count every orange on a tree but never all the trees in a single orange. -A.K. Ramanujan

Looks great! I've been wanting to try one of those myself.

Dave

Very nice indeed! You did well. And picking the riight wood is key for a Mill. Good Job!!

Rick,
    Nice to see a fellow Noob doing well!
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Very nice mill Rick. I almost have all the stuff to start one, I just need the Forstner bits. I hope my first turns out as nice as yours

Kirk
    "There is nothing more dangerous than a resourcful idiot".....Dilbert

Nice mill! I have yet to try one, but I might have to gather up the stuff and give it a whirl. I hope my first one looks that good.
    Chris

What! There's no coffee!!?