Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: any other NBA fans? playoff thread!

and all this time we thought yao ming could barely speak english, turns out he's a comedian.

ron artest unexpectedly storms out of the post game press conference, yao looks up at him and says "see you at the club".

lol

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    I sorta typo'ed the "can" in my original post!

Of course, I meant "can't" get here fast enough!
    That's why there were multiple smileys!! But it helps boost the rivalry!!! All in fun of course. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Quote Originally Posted by Neal Clayton View Post
    and all this time we thought yao ming could barely speak english, turns out he's a comedian.

ron artest unexpectedly storms out of the post game press conference, yao looks up at him and says "see you at the club".

lol
    I didn't think it was unexpected...I seem to recall that he was about done?? Ron had a good game nailing jumpers.

Ah, Sunday, Sunday. Funny thing, I'll be traveling to Santa Barbara tonight for a car event (Bimmerfest if you care) this weekend and my buddy and I plan to catch the game at some bar in SLO (San Luis Obispo) on the way back home to the Bay Area. His kid is college searching and so my buddy wanted to check out Cal-Poly while we are there...just to get a lay of the land so to speak.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Game one to Chris....er.... the Nuggets. Good game until the late 3rd, early 4th quarter. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Peterson View Post

And Rondo should have been called for a flagrant at the end of last nights game. Just plain dirty. If that had happened on a play ground there would be some serious problems. That kind of play doesn't belong in the game.
    i totally agree, i lost a lot of respect for him during that series...i said going in he needed to step and be the playmaker...instead he turned out to be a clown. This coming for a celtics fan...they will need to step it up few notches to have a chance in the next round...it never seemed like they cared about winning or losing....

Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell View Post
    Game one to Chris....er.... the Nuggets. Good game until the late 3rd, early 4th quarter. Jim.
    Jim,

Yep...when my buddy and I entered the sports bar in SLO, it was the end of the 1st quarter: Dallas 24, Denver 16. YIKES! However, I was fairly certain the Nuggets would chip away and that they did en route to another blow-out late in the game.

I frequent the other teams' boards at ESPN and most of the Mavs' fans are blaming the refs for the loss. I know the officiating is bad (but, really, is it any worse than any other time in the playoffs in NBA history??) Kidd had a very bad game turning the ball over. I think the Nuggets had 14 points off turnovers!

Overall, I think Denver is playing very physical basketball and that is what you need to survive the playoffs in the NBA. Keep pushing, grabbing, jabbing as much as you can get away with and that is the name of the game.

I agree Chris. The officiating was not top notch, but to blame losing on the refs, well, if the Mavs blamed the refs, then they let the refs dictate the game instead of playing to their potential. You are going to get bad calls. You have to play through that...both sides.
    If anything, I'd say the Nuggets won by their physical play. The Mavs need to toughen up. It's not supposed to be easy at this level. Play or get off the court. (Gee, I guess I better look, maybe I am a Nugget fan ) Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    Jim,

Yep...when my buddy and I entered the sports bar in SLO, it was the end of the 1st quarter: Dallas 24, Denver 16. YIKES! However, I was fairly certain the Nuggets would chip away and that they did en route to another blow-out late in the game.

I frequent the other teams' boards at ESPN and most of the Mavs' fans are blaming the refs for the loss. I know the officiating is bad (but, really, is it any worse than any other time in the playoffs in NBA history??) Kidd had a very bad game turning the ball over. I think the Nuggets had 14 points off turnovers!

Overall, I think Denver is playing very physical basketball and that is what you need to survive the playoffs in the NBA. Keep pushing, grabbing, jabbing as much as you can get away with and that is the name of the game.
    there are always some bad calls but you don't win on the road with 20 turnovers.

that was very uncharacteristic of j.kidd to make that many mistakes too.

if anyone has a referee complaint in this year's playoffs, it's chicago.

Continuing on about referees: The LA/Hou game I thought was very well done! I hardly noticed the refs in that game. Kobe even looked a bit shocked by some calls on him because, you know, he is a superstar and all and gets away with everything.

It was nice to see Houston pound the Lakeshow at home. Yao had a great game.

Game 2 tonight...I fully expect to head into Big-D Saturday 2 luv.

Yep...heading into Big D up 2 luv as I thought. I honestly did not think Denver would have a dominant 4th quarter again but it is like clockwork.

Things should be tougher in Dallas, where the Mavs are 17-1 going back 18 games. But, that one loss...against Denver!

Glad I went to bed after the middle of the first quarter. I was able to sleep knowing the Mavs were ahead. Jim.
    Last edited by Jim O'Dell; 05-06-2009 at 5:21 PM.

chris, barkley has cursed your nuggets by picking them to knock off LA. he came out and picked them to win it all over the weekend.

Sir Charles has pretty much denegrated the Nuggets for as long as he's been talking and while I like him and find him amusing and entertaining, the man knows a thing or two about basketball. He didn't per se HATE the Nuggets' players but more the way they played: erratic and with little defense. He always recognized their talent but until they played as a team and took defense seriously, he would (rightfully, I now realize) bash them pretty good.

I always liked his frankness and simple way of explaining things without being PC...because it is more clear: "Well, you see that...that was stupid." That is pretty clear!

Now he is really on the Nugget bandwagon and it is scary to hear him praising them and picking them to go very deep into the playoffs. It is scary to think that the Nuggets could go so far...I mean we just got out of the first round after 5 consecutive years of one and done so this is new (exciting) territory.

Last I saw, Barkley picked the Nuggets in 5 so are you saying he has no changed his prediction to 4? I think Game 3 tends to favor the Mavs only because the Nuggets need to feel out how they will play at home and it is possible they may feed off the home crowd and it could be enough to pull it out. The Nuggets will then make adjustments and win Game 4...and then take the series at home in Game 5. This is precisely what happend in NO and I think it might just happen in this series. If the Nugs grab Game 3, it is all over...they will take Game 4 as well.

As to the Houston/LA series, well, I'll hold back a bit on that. Houston looked tough in Game 1 but LA showed up in Game 2. LA is tough and I don't know how well Denver might contain Kobe but LA has a fair number of offensive weapons. Denver might play better D and that will be where they have a chance.

WOW!!! What a game. Ref was looking at the sideline to see if a foot stepped out of bounds instead of watching the players to see the foul at the end, but great concentration by Denver and a 3 pt dagger to finish off the Mavs for game 3. I thought Dallas had it, but not to be. But what a great game to watch! Jim.

on the point of the incessant complaining that always goes on in the NBA playoffs about the refs, i think the refs do cause a problem, but i don't think there's a grand conspiracy amongst them to decide who wins.

what i do think is lacking, which results in the suspensions we see every year, is consistency.

the dwight howard suspension was the result of an escalation during that game because the refs weren't calling both dwight and the other guy for their constant holding of each other. had they called the game tightly but evenly, it wouldn't have gotten to that point.

same goes for the ron artest/kobe thing. if they had called kobe for that obvious foul, it wouldn't have escalated like it did.