Thread: Jet Miter Saw review needed

Jet Miter Saw review needed

First post here so please forgive any issues...
    I tried the search function also, but because Jet is only 3 letters, it won't search correctly. Let me know if there is a way around this.
    For the actual question. I have been looking for a new miter saw to replace my $99 special. Although the Festool looks good, I just can't justify it. My searches have lead me down many paths, and recently I have found yet another. I have not seen Jet's miter saw before and there only limited reviews. If anyone has any experience I would appreciate the feedback. (I have read many reviews of other saws on here so am only interested in the Jet 12" slider, or maybe some more info on the Milwaukee too as info is a little limited compared to Dewalt etal.)

Miter Saw

Garth Welcome,

If you look down a page or two, I posted links to the Jet 12" and Milwaukee 12" sliders. I have not seen any reviews on the Jet. Fine Home Building had one recently on miters but did not review the Milwaukee. It updated the review when the Milwaukee became available.

http://www.taunton.com/finehomebuild...x?nterms=61656

Local Woodcraft has the Jet. Have not found the Milwauk locally.

They both seem like good saws, there some differences in features.

G.L.

thanks

thanks for the link. I searched and couldn't find anything either. I don't own any jet stuff, so I was debating about giving them a go with the miter, take one for the team if you will.

So I ordered the Jet 12" miter saw through the amazon link here. I also got the Trojan stand. I will report back when I receive it and run some wood through it.

Jet miter saw

Garth,

Great! Looking to hear your opinion on the saw. Would like to see the Milwaukee in person before buying, but no one has it locally.

G.L.

Have you checked Home Depot for the Milwaukee? My Home Depot has had them on display for a while.

Hd

I wish the local HD had the Milwaukee, it may have changed my decision...

Miter Saw

Ray,

Thanks I will check HD.

G.L.

Jet/Milwaukee Miter

Allow me to "review" these saws. Gathered the info from their respective sites. Just comparing to help on decision to buy a miter saw.

Jet
    RPM- (no load) 4200
    Soft Start- could not determine
    Total Miter Stops-10
    Max Left-45
    Max Right-60
    Bevel-45 Left/Right, not sure of this one
    Arbor- 5/8
    Wt.-72.6 lbs.
    Laser- green with on/off switch

Milwaukee
    RPM- (no load) 3200
    Soft Start- yes
    Total Miter Stops-12
    Max Left-55
    Max Right-60
    Bevel-48 Left/Right
    Arbor- 5/8"-1"
    Wt.-65.0 lbs.
    Laser- N/A, light on either side of blade

I have seen both first hand. For what ever reason I like the look/feel of the Jet over the Milwauk. The digital miter find ajustmnet helpful. The functionality of the fence, Jet slides. Jet has an accessory to support work on table that swing out from miter handle. Woodcraft Jet 20% off. HD $150 off on $600 purchase. Local prices make the Milwauk $60 less. I'm sure didn't cover everything. Which one to purchase.

Thank you for your opinions,

G.L.

received

I received the saw today and the trojan 2000 miter saw stand yesterday. The packages were in good condition and the products were in the packaging appropriately. Setting up the stand I noticed that at least 4 welds appeared poor. They are strong but look poor. After assembly the system seems stable, but I quickly found out such a large miter saw will not directly fit on the table. I will add an additional piece of plywood tomorrow and mount and align the saw. First impression of the saw is good though some of the nobs are a little plasticy. Alingments seem close but without the saw mounted I am not going to go through the hassle of proving it.
    More tomorrow.

set up

Well the saw and stand are set up. Thus far, The saw seems fine, though I haven't done all of the cuts to confirm. The detailed set up confirmed that the saw was spot on from the factory. It is heavy, but not as heavy as I thought it was going to be. The manual was easy to read and complete.

The stand is mostly stable though I would recommend a larger base for such a large saw. I did add a much large table that accommodates the saw, but even with the saw much further forward than I really want, it just doesn't seem as stable as it should be. I think Trojan sells a 2008 model that is made for larger saws (I didn't know this when I ordered the 2000). I also have the extension wing and basic stop. I am not a big fan of the stop, it sags a little and appears that it won't be great for a large number of repetitive cuts, though only time will tell. I did find a bunch of scratches and nicks from shipping, though the box was not damaged. I did also find that one of the tightening nuts was severely bent. Not too big of a deal, but I prefer to have a perfect product for such a price tag. Pictures of welds and scratches below. Directions? No, don't need those.

Some detailed shots showing the features:

The plasticy nobs, not too bad, but I would like something more substantial:

A scratch where the blade hot the saw apparently in shipping

I had more pictures but was limited to ten, the price of being new I guess.
    Don't mind the mess...

Keep us up to date on how the saw works. We have a dealer in town that sells the JET unit and a miter sliding miter saw is on my long list.

When I see the JET unit I think of Craftsman. Wonder if JET\Craftsman have some kind of connection with miter saws ???????
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

a little test

I have now had the chance to use the saw for about 2000 BF of shiplap that I am using as wall covering in my garage. The overall performance was great, but I have found a couple of concerns. Dust collection is as poor as it is on any other saw I've owned. The laser seems to collect quite a lot of dust. It is not a big deal, but it is annoying. The cuts are clean and square.

Now I wish I could be as positive about the stand... It really is not meant for a saw this large and it is obvious. It is not well balanced. I have also had a hard time keeping the end roller height adjusted correctly without over tightening the set-bolts and denting the frame. The stop is almost worthless for boards longer than 2 feet...
    Last edited by Garth Patterson; 07-29-2009 at 5:16 PM.