Thread: [Epilog Helix] Rubber gasket cutting

[Epilog Helix] Rubber gasket cutting

Hello,

I'm not used to do anything else than anodized aluminium with my Epilog and now I would like to cut rubber gasket.

I'm not sure what mats to use for that, i've tried different rubber types without being ever able to cut through with the laser.

Anyone managed to do it or something rather similar ?

Thank you for you time.

JF Pepin
    theatrixx.com

I've cut gaskets from 3mm (1/8") black nitrile rubber on my 60W Lengend EX.
    Settings 100% power, 20% speed.

VERY smelly, VERY messy, but the gaskets turn out OK.

(It is worth putting masking tape both sides of the rubber so you can peel off the worst of the soot - even then, the edges will make black marks on your hands and everywhere!)

I have cut many different types of gasket material and have found that you have to be very carefull to not use too much power. The rubber material in particular cuts worse at higher power. Try a range of power settings on your test piece to find the lowest possible setting.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Adams View Post
    I have cut many different types of gasket material and have found that you have to be very carefull to not use too much power. The rubber material in particular cuts worse at higher power. Try a range of power settings on your test piece to find the lowest possible setting.
    Agreed, even two passes at lower power cuts cleaner.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

I agree that the gaskets do turn out well and the smell disappears after a couple of months. Just kidding, unless of course you are doing thousands of them, the smell is not too bad.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

I'm pretty sure nitrile rubber is what I've tried it on and never been able to cut through, just about half way even with multiple pass.

I'll give it another try and get back to you with my results.

Thanks guys!

Also keep your vector freq. low.. I don't cut a lot of gaskets, but when I cut rubber My freq varies from 15-25.. I find higher ones don't penetrate as well, and can burn the edges.. But this is 'my' machine, your results may vary..
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it