Thread: source for compressed air flex line

source for compressed air flex line

I recently upgraded to a stationary air compressor and I'm looking at doing some piping. I need a flex line to make my final hookup because the compressor does vibrate some when it is running. I assume I'd like a 3/4" ID line since that is what my main run will be (although my filter regulator is only 1/2"...). Where do I find such a beast? I have been unable to dig one out of the great internet.

Use a piece of hydraulic hose. Great working pressure and heat resistant. Most any good auto parts store (not Advance, or Autozone) can make you one in what ever length you want. Be sure and get NPT ends though, so you don't have to buy special fittings. Places like Northern Tool usually have a limited selection of premade hose.

I will try Napa tomorrow

I have a local Napa, I'll try them. Thanks & great idea.

I plumbed mine in with a short length of copper tubing between the compressor outlet and the hard line. Instead of a straight run, I formed a loop in the tube to increase flexibility and accommodate low amplitude vibration. Been about 7 years now with no cracks or other problems. Don't recall the trade size of the tubing, it was a piece left over from some previous project. A short run of smaller than optimum tubing isn't going to have a major impact on overall flow rates and pressures, but bigger is better. I'd go with whatever size best matches the existing fittings.

Edit: The hydraulic hose is a good idea also. Probably would have done that if I'd thought of it and hadn't had the copper tubing already on hand.
    Last edited by Tom Veatch; 04-20-2009 at 9:34 PM.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

If not your local supplier, you can order them online from the Surplus Center.

https://www.surpluscenter.com/sort.a...c&keyword=H12N

They start at around 10 bucks for a 3/4" x 12" pre-made hose with NPT ends.

I used an 18" piece of flexible 3/4" natural gas supply line from the orange borg. It's high pressure rubber with a stainless steel over-wrap. Was able to find one with NPT female ends. Been in service now for at least six or seven years.

Brian

I have used the stainless steel mesh flex line designed to go between the fixed compressor and the outlet pipe. I got it from a commercial plumbing house in California. Grainger may carry the same product.
    David B

Robert,
    I purchased a 3' ft whip air hose to connect my compressor to my rigid copper lines from Northern Tool. It was simply a short piece of air hose with the appropriate fittings on each end.

Eric

Unless you have strict CFM requirements down the line, you can most likely get by with a piece of standard air hose. I would certainly lean towards 3/8 over 1/4. I bought 250' of bulk 3/8 hose several years ago @ Grainger, along with an assortment of barbs and connecters and the die machine to crimp my own ferrules. It's been great to have it.

Napa says

The guy there said I could save a bit of money if I thought I could use "suction hose". He said that the air can't be hot though because the inside is rubber and it will break down. Sounds bad to me so I think I'll stick with the hydraulic line. He is quite a bit more than ordering a hose online, so I'll probably go that route.

Here is a link for a possible item from Northern Tool online. At my local store I bought a 36" long 3/8" diam. air hose for about $5.

air hose

I found 1/2 and 3/4 ID Goodyear rubber hose at my local Lowes. Might be worth checking out their plumbing isle, you never know!

Since NAPA was so expensive, you might see if there are any industrial or hydraulic supply shops in your area. That's where I got my 3/4" flex connections for my air system, and they were less than online was going to cost me.

Don't cheap out on the hose by using "suction hose". You really don't want to see what happens when one end of a flex line breaks at 130 psi. It ain't pretty, especially if you're standing nearby.