Thread: Three phase sander wiring

Question Three phase sander wiring

Just received a three phase 20 inch 3hp sander. Powermatic. Have three phase converter putting out T1 T2 and T3. T3 is the manufactured phase the first two phases pass through the converter.

Question ? should the manufactured phase be wired to black red or white. I have diagrams but don't want to fry the switch as this has been important on my larger tools with starters. Please respond only if your sure. I am sure there will be electricians out there that think this is pediatric but would appreciate your help.
    I have attached a diagram

Thane
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thane, I color code my phases as follows: T1 / L1 is black, T2 / L2 is Red, and T3 / L3 is blue.

The manufactured leg off of my phase converter is always wired to T3 / L3 initially. Sometimes I'll swap it if the rotation has to be reversed; the swap occuring at the motor.

I don't think that it matters technically where you wire it; I use the color codes above in order to be consistent and to ease troubleshooting.

Phase colors

same three colors on my wires all black when we ran it with manufactured phase as black with blue tape which is conventional. However wasnt sure whether w or v or u should be the manufactured phase and whether that might affect switch.

Thanks
    Thane

It shouldn't affect it. If the motor starts up backwards, simply swap two of the three wires power wires.

5. It doesn't appear that there is a magnetic starter on the sander, so wiring should not matter. If there was a magnetic starter, it is generally accepted to have the relay coil across the single-phase legs. Not that it is a big deal, but simply because the manufactured leg has odd voltages to the single phase legs.

The sander has a reversing switch, so it makes no difference which wire goes where.

Smile Wiring

Thanks Folks
    That was my gut but it never hurts to ask, appreciate the feedback.
    Glad to have the three phase because only this model reverses.
    Thane