Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with CAD!!??

Bart,

Thanks a bunch for the info. I'm surprised you got back to me at all considering you're in the middle of a move! I've been considering some new software for a while - the site should get me off my butt and make a decision.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

Wes

2. Howdy everyone! Newbie here, first post. Since I am a CAD detailer, I saw this thread and thought I'd throw my .02 in.
    Normally, I am using Autocad 2002. Does everything I need, but I just got Quickcad, and it seems it will do most everything you would need. Might take a while to get the learning curve up, but I tell ya, vector based is the way to go.
    Plotting to scale is always a plus. Anyway, just a quick introduction, as its late.
    I found this site by accident and am delighted. I am a woodworker, with about 20 years experience in a high end store fixture manufacturer(Macys stuff is high end I think ). The last 10 as a senior draftsman/detailer, board and CAD. Love woodworking, have a home shop where I build all kinds of stuff with lots of different materials. Last year I moved to Coos Bay Oregon, where I went to work at a local high end cabinet shop as a detailer too. Now I am concentrating on my own shop, and getting my shop skills back in shape. I design and fabricate a lot of acoustical and studio fixtures for recording studios, as I also have my own 32 trk studio, which I have fabricated a lot of stuff for. Well, enough about me. I'll be around here alot. Looking forward to learning and sharing.

fitZ

The latest issue of Fine Woodworking has a very nice article on CAD software, including evaluations of several programs. The author, after testing, felt that DesignCAD gave the best set of features, ease of use/training, etc.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Matthew,
    I just received my issue of Fine Woodworking today. They did a review of 5 CAD programs with budget in mind. They range from $40-99.95. The pick of the litter was DesignCad 3D Max v14 for $99.95. Amazon has it for $43. I checked out the web site and there's a v15 out already. Give it a look.

Jerry