Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning up sawdust from floor?

Cleaning up sawdust from floor?

I could use some suggestions on some method of cleaning sawdust from the floor to keep from getting tracked into the rest of the house. I most recently tried a sponge mop and rinsed it out in my shop sink. That worked very good. However, I don't like to introduce that kind of moisture in the shop.

Maybe there is some type of compound I can sprinkle on the floor before sweeping that would help. Maybe like what is used to clean basketball floors?

I already have good dust collection and filtration but the process of sanding and routing is my downfall.

To please the LOML I have also been changing my shoes at the shop door and that works good too. Thx.
    Kev

Shop Vac. Only way I have found to keep the carpet clean inside.

Put one of those fibre mats that go outside the front door, either just inside or outside your shop door (or both!). Take it out to the yard and shake it out once in a while.

Another tip is to keep a whisk broom on a nail beside the door. Take a sec and "sweep" the sawdust off the bottom of your shoes when you leave.

I also keep a stick broom in my shop to sweep the scattered sawdust around a machine into a pile that's out of the way. Only take a few seconds to do that to help keep from tracking it all over the shop or out the shop door. Then, at the end of the day, finish up with the Shop Vac.

Hope this helps.
    Lee in NC

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Nickles View Post
    Shop Vac. Only way I have found to keep the carpet clean inside.
    +1 on the shop vac.

Bathroom, cot and TV in the shop. LOYL will be even happier!

You didn't mention what kind of floor, but if this is on concrete, put down epoxy paint over it. I never felt like i was done sweeping bare concrete. I could always go over it again and get more dust. Sweeping an epoxy painted floor is a real joy in comparison.
    Use the fence Luke

Keep a compressed air line by the door and blow yourself off before going into the house.

I dunno how I ever lived without a wet-dry vac.

Take your shoes before coming in.

We have dark carpet, and two light-colored dogs, so the dust really doesn't matter, we vaccum probably 2x per day, anyway. Fortunately, SWMBO isn't too picky about it.

Don't be tempted to put a floor sweep on your DC, if you have one, they're intended for dust & woodchips, only. Everything goes through the impeller on a DC, so accidentally picking up a screw or nail from the floor could be very bad.

My Dad had dust allergies as do I and used floor sweeping compound called dustbane. I remember the smell as a kid and it always reminds me of our time in the shop together. Great memories!!!!!
    The air line and blow gun workbut just reintroduce the dust in the shop for the cold air return to pick up and redistribute throughout the rest of the house even with a filter on the return!
    Best Regards
    Pete

I wear Crocs and slip them off before coming in the house.
    Charlie Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Shermet View Post
    The air line and blow gun workbut just reintroduce the dust in the shop for the cold air return to pick up and redistribute throughout the rest of the house even with a filter on the return!
    Best Regards
    Pete
    I promise you that you don't have a cold air return in the garage that supplies your home HVAC system.

A cold air return in your garage

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch View Post
    I promise you that you don't have a cold air return in the garage that supplies your home HVAC system.
    If you have a gas furnace. And by the off chance that you do have a cold air return in your garage; remove it immediately. Don’t just seal it off; remove it.
    A cold air return in your garage is a disaster waiting to happen.
    The head line would read; suburban family of 5 dies of carbon monoxide poisoning. Details on page 2.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Camaster Cobra 408 working table size 48 x 98
    Wincnc,AspireII,PhotoVcarve,Cut3D
    HX6090SE 60Wworking table 23”X36”
    LaserCut 5.3
    Coreldraw X3, photograV 3.0, Photozoom3

Sawmill Creek is financed in part through member contributions.
    Many members just like you have found extraordinary value in becoming a financial supporter of SMC.

The latest issue of Finewoodworkings' Tools and Shops had an article on basement shops. One of the tips in this article was to have a pair of shoes or footwear that are used in the shop only. Remove them prior to entering the house and no more tracking problems. I keep a couple of pair that I use in the shop and general outside yard work. Keeps the dirt out of the house and keeps the Mrs. happy at the same time.

I have the most dust-conscious spouse of any of you - I guarantee.

Separate shoes and clothes is the only thing I've found that really works.

At the shooting range, where tracking lead is an issue, they have mats on the floor that are like giant two-sided tape. Very effective at cleaning stuff off the bottom of your shoes.