Thread: A very good day !!

A very good day !!

I was so very fortunate to be visiting af fellow danish turner today, the occasion was delivery of the first 100 of a 300 pen order i got back in December.. well i was out any way and had the chance to visit this nice fellow Joe... I made the delivery and the client was very pleased with my work so all was vell.. I met up with joe and we ha a very good long vortex talk ... we swaped wood i had brought him some and he gave me some.. burls and exotic stuff... all very good.. then his phone rings and it one of the local lumberguys.. they are cutting down some of the very last Danish Elm trees and joe knows thees 2 trees (BURLS GALORE) so of we go to investigate... and im meet by 2 large trunks with burls all over... we are talkin 60-80 cm i diameter 4-4,5 meters up One large cluster of burl !!! maby 2 tons all in all.. we arange it so that i get to buy the bedst one of the trunks buy paying for a load of Beech for the owners fireplace NICE NICE NICE.. i know no pics but there will be...

And not only that... i get back home just in the driveway and an other guy calls me and wants to buy for around 1000 dkk. Woodblanks for bottle stoppers!! YES! i just put the notice on my page that im selling blanks for penturning and bottle stopper blanks !! And just yesterday i got around to cutting up some of the bogoak i have for stoppers..

Man i did the big man does the victorydance...

Had to share, will post pictures when i have some..
    Rasmus Petersen - woodturning.dk.
    Itīs not a failure itīs a design opportunity

Rasmus - Congrats!!! The Danish Elm sounds wonderful and I look forward to seeing photos of it when you have time!

Congrats also on your sales! Life is good! Enjoy!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

That's delightful Rasmus. It sounds like you are in for a great time and good fortune.

Marc Himes

Congrats on the sale and the wood. Can't wait to see some turnings.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Congratulations Rasmus! I can't wait to see the pics!
    All the best.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by Rasmus Petersen View Post
    then his phone rings and it one of the local lumberguys.. they are cutting down some of the very last Danish Elm trees and joe knows thees 2 trees (BURLS GALORE) so of we go to investigate...
    Hi Rasmus, I was caught by this statement. What are they cutting down the last of the Danish Elm trees? It would seem to be something worth protecting and trying to preserve instead. Or did I read it wrong, last in a certain area? or ???

Just curious. As much as I love turning I don't like the thought of living without trees.

Joshua

well denmark used to have lots and lots and lots of elm trees.. But we have been hit very hard by dutch elm disease .. The 2 trees we found are some of the last on the island Seeland. Denmark still has "lots" of forrest Beech Oak pine .. . . . But elm trees in this size are VERY rare and most are already dying... But i got one and now i get to tur wet elm burl !! the coloring and texture in elm burls are some of the most beautiful you will find anywhere..

here is the proof.......

elmmedknude.jpg

Never turned elm burl but I've turned elm and I like it a lot. Congrats on the gloat.

elm burl is extreem.. all kinds of color type and surprise.. from very light brown to dark brown dark read with streaks og green and red, flame, birdseye inclusions swirls u name it...

Sounds like quite the wood score!! Congrats on the pen sales too!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

thanks all.... I have acually already had several requests for penblanks, and stopper blanks from my site and from the IAP... Nice...