Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tour of The One Eleven Store

Edward,
    How long have owned the building? When did you start woodworking? Please tell us a little more of your history.

Thanks

Kevin,
    That "clutter" is where I find the charm and mystic of this fantastic shop.Like the glue that binds the wood together.
    My shop is sterile and cold. Clean looking, things in order, mostly dust free. Nothing appealing about it in my eyes. Then again I look at new housing pretty much the same way. I want the old classical lines of a Victorian or a Country House. That's me and my quirk I guess.
    This reminds me of some old shops I used to see around the small town I grew up in.
    From the tools I see and the use they appear to have I suspect Edward is a real craftsman.
    I join Andrew in asking for more background if you are willing to share Edward. Thanks

Joel,

Again, I meant no disrespect to Edward, we're just at opposite ends of the spectrum. Like you, I keep my shop pretty clean and sterile with every tool in its appointed place, etc., etc. It works for me, but I recognize that other folks have different approaches. I'd gladly trade my obsessive neatness for his woodworking skills though!

Kevin

What clutter? Heck I cleaned up before I started this.

rounding off the sharp corners-

alex

elvenety-one

Nice to see your shop
    nice to see a shop with sawdust in it

Kevin H

I understood that and sorry if I came off as not.
    Just feelin' that groovy vib when I keyed and maybe didn't come across in the way I should have.

What he's got is what I want. The casual ambience and whole deal is there. Good feeling just looking at the pictures .....
    My shop is more a reflection of my life as a whole - kinda hectic, Daytimer, things all in order. I hate it to death and something has to give/change. This glorious shop would do it I might even start to like working again.

Great shop Edward. Any desire to add dust collection?

PS

ah man ..... saw dust. Open the doors and sweep it out.
    It's a gift as it be.

Please say no Edward

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Scoma View Post
    Great shop Edward. Any desire to add dust collection?

PS
    Yes matter of fact I do have a desire for dust collection-she should be fairly attractive forty something and beside the dust collection she should like to sand.

alex

Quote Originally Posted by edward alexander View Post
    Yes matter of fact I do have a desire for dust collection-she should be fairly attractive forty something and beside the dust collection she should like to sand.

alex
    Now THAT is funny. Now we have character and a good sense of humor!

I posted this earlier but it got buried in the middle of the thread. Go to " more replies below current depth --- " to see more of Edwards photo's
    ----------------------------------------
    Thanks so much for posting Edward.

As a kid when I'd find a wood shop I would plant my face on a window and study every detail. Now you brought your wonderful shop right to my desk, amazing! Your building and shop are incredible!

The one word that keeps coming to my mind as I view is character. You and your shop have tons of character!
    I can see you and I agree on many things including dust collection!
    I better quit typing before I wear out my ! key.

Thanks again.

How long have owned the building? When did you start woodworking? Please tell us a little more of your history.

Thanks
    -----
    Last edited by Andrew Joiner; 04-23-2009 at 11:55 PM.

If you turn around from the planer to the back of the shop in the middle is the big work table, that's over the pit,the table is 7ft.x5ft. with a vise on one corner,-

the back of the shop is geared towards the big frames I make (I think I've shown them here before)-

The pit was for auto work-at sometime in this old buildings past it was an auto shop-the big work table is set on top of the pit with a 6" opening on the vise end so long pieces can be held like so,-it's the only use I've found for it so far.-

on the east side of the big table is the veneer press-it's 30"x96" has nine racks that can be moved back and forth - each rack has three veneer screws-the 27 headed monster-

on the west side of the room is the #3 table saw-it's an old Tannewitz model J made 1926-it's all original except for one knob-this is my miter saw,miters for a frame that's six foot x four foot and seven inches wide are not that easy to cut,I mean you can't sell a $3000 mirror and have the corners pop open-the 45s have to be 100% not 45.3 are 44.7 --I might spend several hours setting the miter gauge--set it test it ,set it test ,until it's 100%---the contraption with the bearing that rides down the side of the table is to take out the play in the gauge-

one more post to go--Oh if you want one of those cats send a box with some holes punched in it and the postage and I'll mail it the same day;

alex
    Last edited by edward alexander; 04-24-2009 at 11:17 AM. Reason: add to

Whoa... choke... amazing...

Can I get your daughters number?... kidding...

again...amazing...

Oh... and dust collection would take away from the character... (smiley face)
    Last edited by Gary Chester; 04-25-2009 at 12:45 AM.

Ok just a quick background - I started making furniture in 1973-self taught-in 1978 I put my first real shop together, much like what I have now only different wood and different machines--didn't get rich but I haven't worked for anybody but myself since. anyway that's my shop--a few pictures with no explanation ---

thanks all
    alex
    Last edited by edward alexander; 04-25-2009 at 9:30 AM. Reason: spelling

I'm REALLY disappointed now. When you said you had a pit, I expected BBQ . Where is this Shangri-La of a shop, if you don't mind saying?
    The problem with education in the School of Hard Knocks is that by the time you're educated, you're too old to do anything.