Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Old PM 66

Old PM 66

There was a Powermatic 66 table saw for sale locally 3 days ago for $550.I figured that it can't be much for that price but I have to check it out.Turns out (this is almost unbelievable) that it's at a catholic school for challanged kids run by nuns.The nun that taught shop passed away a number of years ago and it was stored in a heated garage.The thing is in great shape (for the age) with almost no rust on the top.
    Now the down side.It's 2hp 110v. I didn't know there was a 110.I bought it anyway and it functions fine.(No cutting yet).I have seen other motors that can be wired for either 110 or 220.I haven't checked the saw motor out yet.
    I didn't buy the world's only worthless Powermatic, did I?

2hp on 110 will cut quite a bit, my contractor saws are 1.5hp on 110/220, and I mostly use them on 110. Chances are that your motor will allow 220 operation.

I have a 66 but its 5hp 3ph, but it is a very nice saw that stays in tune even with the things I put it through.

Even if you had to buy a motor its still a smokin deal!

Congrats....

But the story, only driven by a little old Nun, but never on Sunday, now that is priceless.

Carl,

That is still a great deal. The 2hp saw will cut plenty. You wont even notice you have a little lower power unless you are using a cheap dull blade and cutting some really thick hard wood. And worse case senario you buy a different motor for it. Have fun. You could resell it for more than that if you tried. But if you are in need of a good saw, you got it.

One thing though NO PICTURES DIDN'T HAPPEN!

Most likely the motor will be dual voltage. If not run it on a separate 20 amp branch circuit. I have a 2.0 HP Century motor on my Delta contractor's saw, on a 20 amp circuit. When I had a 1.0 HP sears saw, it would kick the circuit breaker some times, but no so with the 2.0 Century motor. Using 1 HP = 746 watts, then a 2.0 HP motor will draw 1492 watts. Dividing 1492 watts by 120 volts, you get 12.43333 amps of current draw. Of course your motor won't be 100% efficent, so current draw will be larger.

The school had some other stuff too.A guy bought a jointer, but I beat him to the PM.They gave him my number.He called while I was driving and said he had a shop and do I really need anything this big.Told him "not for sale". The nun story is true.I swear.

I have a 2 hp on my PM66, it is 220. I have never been limited by power in my endevours. I only found out when I had to pull the cover off in order to install my Excalibur slider

Bill

Maybe go with a thin kerf blade? Is it an older motor on your saw? What color is your machine? I have an early 70's 66. Great machines.

Haven't even had a chance to check it out.I had to take it of the truck with my shop hoist (ala another post I read). I had to take the fence guides off to strap it for the hoist.I'll get it put back together and post a pic in a few days.Great site.Thanks to all.

You got a great deal. I doubt you will notice the difference in the 2 HP as the older motors (depending on just how old) were rated different then. The 2 HP is probably closer to true 2 HP than the newer motors rated at 3 HP which they might produce pushed to max and at the point they would melt from heat build-up.

Did I mention you got a great deal?

Sarge..

That saw will be fine with the motor it has. Make sure that you have an appropriate circuit for it whether you go 110 or 220. School machines usually have mag starters which can add extra work/parts if you switch voltages.

Pete

Blog Entries
    I would say that the story makes that saw worth at least double what you paid. People place a great deal of value on history of objects. But thinking about Sister Mary Catherine cutting ripping boards down would always bring a smile to my face.

Not really sure why you would think you'll need more than a 2 hp motor? Are you planning on bolting a power feed to run 8/4 stock through it or something? I know there's a lot of talk on here about big motors, but 2 hp should be more than enough for the overwhelming majority of hobby shops.
    I have a 2 hp on my Unisaw that replaced the 1 hp original motor, and very rarely do I get it to bog down. Considering it's been in almost daily use for about a decade now I don't think you'll have a problem.
    good luck,
    JeffD

You forgot to add "Gloat" to Old PM66

+1 what JEFF said!

...And I thought you were gonna Whine because the saw was 3-phase! lol

Until you find the saw cannot keep up with your severe ripping demands, USE IT!! As has been mentioned, *old* 2hp motors are probably more powerful than anything *rated* at 2hp today. An older Rockwell contractors saw served me very well for years, ripping even occasional 8/4 stuff, with an honest 1.5hp motor (15/7.5A)--especially after switching it to 230v! I am betting your 2hp has more BUTT than that!!

IF....you DO find you need a more powerful motor, the upside is that C-face motors with 7/8" shaft are off the shelf to bolt onto a PM66! No special mount such as on a Unisaw! But, you will also have to spring for a heavier magnetic motor starter for a 3 or 5hp motor!

But, as is, you deserve to GLOAT! GoodLuck with your *new* PM66!!
    Last edited by Chip Lindley; 04-24-2009 at 10:32 AM.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Steiner View Post
    I would say that the story makes that saw worth at least double what you paid. People place a great deal of value on history of objects. But thinking about Sister Mary Catherine cutting ripping boards down would always bring a smile to my face.

Prob more like Sister Mary Charles Bronson.