Thread: Best glue for a Hawaiian style canoe paddle?

Best glue for a Hawaiian style canoe paddle?

While on the big island of Hawaii I picked up some curly Koa and I am making a hawaiian canoe paddle. I would like to make a beautiful and functional paddle verses soley a wall piece.

What glue or epoxy should I use to glue the wings on to the shaft?

What kind of finish would be best? Some kind of tung oil mix?

I would use West System Epoxy and reinforce the glue joints with dowels. Can't help you on the finish.

Either West System Epoxy or Resourcinol would be the preferred choice for glue. For a finish I would varnish. Oil will not seal the wood pores and in a relatively short time dirt, grime etc will find it's way into the wood and your beautiful paddle will not appear so beautiful.

I think Resourcinol would be best if you don't mind the color. Also, with Resourcinol you must be precise with your joinery. Resourcinol must have a tight fit to work properly.

I've used West System, System Three and MAS epoxies, all with good success. I tend to like MAS best because it seems to give a little when cured and that seems to be the best for wood that may have stress. However, they are all good.

I've tried, early in my paddle making, to use regular wood glue because I was told if I epoxied the paddle anyway, water wouldn't get to the glue. It did and the paddles fell apart. Stick with epoxy or Resourcinol.

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

It would def be West System for me as well. I would use Epifanes Varnish to coat it. Epifanies is a bit thicker then usual varnish requiring a slightly different application style, but tends to hold up better than some of the other marine grade coatings.