Thread: Stanley Type 9 Chipbreakers ??

Stanley Type 9 Chipbreakers ??

Hi all!

I have two Type 9's a #5 and a #8C, both from the Bay. As with many old planes these two are in good condition and mostly original, but not entirely. On both, the chipbreakers aren't original, so I'm having an issue advancing the blade far enough.

I've got new aftermarket blades, and now need new chipbreakers, but need some dimensions of the correct chipbreakers. So, if anyone has a type 9, #5 or #8, could you tell me the dimensions of the chipbreaker? Specifically, what is the distance from the leading edge of the chipbreaker to the leading edge of the yoke (the place where the lateral adjustment lever comes through)? My understanding from the folks at LN is that with this they can get me fixed up.

Thanks for any help!
    Aaron

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Frank View Post
    Hi all!

I have two Type 9's a #5 and a #8C, both from the Bay. As with many old planes these two are in good condition and mostly original, but not entirely. On both, the chipbreakers aren't original, so I'm having an issue advancing the blade far enough.

I've got new aftermarket blades, and now need new chipbreakers, but need some dimensions of the correct chipbreakers. So, if anyone has a type 9, #5 or #8, could you tell me the dimensions of the chipbreaker? Specifically, what is the distance from the leading edge of the chipbreaker to the leading edge of the yoke (the place where the lateral adjustment lever comes through)? My understanding from the folks at LN is that with this they can get me fixed up.

Thanks for any help!
    Aaron
    Aaron,
    There was an attempt started to acquire this information for all the plane makers. So far the only information is for Stanley bench planes. So you are lucky.

There is a .pdf in the #10 post of this thread:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=1106835

The dimensions should be the same from type to type of Stanley bench Planes.

Before getting to the point of buying new chip breakers/cap irons, which are nice but pricey, you should check to make sure the screw is as tight as it can reasonably be. If it is loose, the chip breaker will move, the blade will not.

With the aftermarket blades, the frog may need adjustment to allow the blade passage through the plane's mouth. Some folks modify the mouth, I would check very carefully before doing this procedure. Others have attached more metal to the new chip breakers to make a better engagement between the yoke and the chip breaker.

If you do encounter more difficulties in getting these planes on to the making lovely shavings path, ask more questions. Surely, it is not just me who finds helping others learn helps ourself to learn.

jim

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the suggestions. On both planes, the blade and chipbreaker are screwed together tightly. Also, the frogs have been adjusted and moved into proper placement. The situation is that with everything adjusted properly, the furthest I can advance either blade is to about 1/32 from protruding (1/32 inside the plane).

Since I can't get the blade to advance far enough, I don't see any other solution that getting a new chipbreaker - which will actually improve performance.

I'll also say that I have no real trouble getting my other planes - LV/LN - to perform properly.

Thanks
    Aaron

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Frank View Post
    Hi Jim,

Thanks for the suggestions. On both planes, the blade and chipbreaker are screwed together tightly. Also, the frogs have been adjusted and moved into proper placement. The situation is that with everything adjusted properly, the furthest I can advance either blade is to about 1/32 from protruding (1/32 inside the plane).

Since I can't get the blade to advance far enough, I don't see any other solution that getting a new chipbreaker - which will actually improve performance.

I'll also say that I have no real trouble getting my other planes - LV/LN - to perform properly.

Thanks
    Aaron

What other LN planes do you have? If you have a #4, you could try the blade and chip breaker from it to verify your #5 will work properly.

I am not familiar with the LV planes so can not speak for them. The LN planes are based on Stanley plane designs.

The LN page says the Stanley specifications may have changed over time. In my experience, the chip breakers work fine between the types. The manufacturing tolerance may have been loose to allow for lower cost in production.

Do you have a caliper to measure the ones you have?

One other possibility is if frogs became switched on your planes. This isn't too likely with type 9s.

jim