Thread: Couple of Boxes

Blog Entries

Couple of Boxes

I've been working on these for the last couple of weeks. Had a poll in another thread and 79% of the response went with "the other lid"... leaving 21% choosing the lid that is on the box. I had sent an email to the gal in TX that's getting this box and she liked the one that's on it.... so, that ultimately decided the choice....

Anyway.... I was getting ready to make the Cocobolo & Ambrosia Maple box and my wife came down and visited me in the shop and said "why don't you make two...., Ericka (daughter in Brazil) doesn't have one of my boxes".... Hence the Padauk & Tulipwood "twin".....

I am really pleased with the finish. Never tried this recipe before. Turned out much better than the pictures.

A couple of coats of Teak Oil....dryed for 4 days. Then 3 coats of aerosol shellac, wet sanding with 320 between the first two coats, then 400 before the 3rd.

Let it dry 24 hours, wet sanded with 400 again.... then went with Deft gloss lacquer. Sprayed 3 coats, waiting the allotted time, then sanded with 600. Sprayed 2 more coats let it set overnight.

Back at it tonight.... wet sanded to 600.... sprayed 2 coats of the same lacquer. Dry sanded with some 1500.... and then gave it one more coat. Went over it again with the 1500 and that's where it is now. Note: No lacquer on the inside of the box..... just the 3 coats of shellac.

I still have to make the little trays and flock the bottoms of the boxes and the trays.... but, I'm going to save that for after work stuff next week. Going to get started cutting wood for another adventure - and sawdust and finishing is not a good mix... these boxes need to set a while to let everything cure anyway....

Thanks for looking...

Last edited by Ed Sallee; 04-24-2009 at 9:27 PM.

Blog Entries
    Nice boxes. I'm going to cut and paste your finishing technique so I can save it on my PC and use it on my next box project. Thanks for the info.

Ed, do you know if Teak oil and Danish Wool Oil is essentially the same for this process? Also, when you wet sand, does that mean wet with water or oil?
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Brian, wet sanding for wood is usualy using oil. In my experiences, I use a 3 third finish, and always wet(oil)sand the last few coats. Not the last one but the few before with a 400 or 600 wet dry sand paper!
    David

Nice examples Ed. Your boxes have grown in popularity. I am sure you will be building them for a long time!
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

3 third finish?
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Very nice. I like the spalted top
    "History is strewn with the wrecks of nations which have gained a little progressiveness at the cost of a great deal of hard manliness, and have thus prepared themselves for destruction as soon as the movements of the world gave a chance for it." -Walter Bagehot

Ed, absolutely fantastic work as always. great design and execution. But for once I have a slight "criticism", if you can even call it that.
    I really think the beauty of the Tulipwood is lost in the contrast with the Paduak. At least in the photo. I have some tulipwood in my shop waiting to be made into a box. I know how exceptionally outstanding this wood can be. Again, maybe it's just the photo, I really hope it is, but I really think you could have shown it off better with a different choice in contrasting wood.
    JMHO.

Ryan
    Remember this when you work with wood:

"I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business. "
    Michael J. Fox

Ed, even though I voted for the other lid, this combination does work. These turned out great, and the finish looks beautiful.

I see where Ryan is coming from on the wood choices for the other box. But, I actually like the combination. It doesn't have the "contrast" that you typically get with your boxes, but I think the two woods compliment each other in a different way.

As always, quality work. Wish I had your patience for finishing!! Would you like to come help with my project? That part sure is my weakness

Blog Entries
    Thanks guys.... I was just playing around with the finish.... and it really turned out to be smooth as glass....

About the tulipwood.... I was simply working with what I had... I wasn't thinking about even making the Padauk/Tulipwood box until my wife said "you should make two".... The tulipwood does show up much better than in the photos..... still, there could be more... but, I was using wood that I already had.... and didn't have too much tulipwood.... I had enough to do more with it.... but not enought to do more the way I would have wanted.... so, I went with subtle..... I still have enough for another small project. And, to quote a famous guy "From sublime to ridiculousness there is only one step." ~Napoleon ....that quote always back there in the corner of my mind..

When I wet sanded... I used water in a coffee can. Never thought about using oil.... not even sure what kind of oil to use for that, as I would think it would have to dry for a long time between coats. I would think that the Teak Oil & Danish Oil would be pretty close to the same. I went with the Teak oil again because it says on the side of the can that it is good for dense woods.... and cocobolo & padauk are pretty dense woods.

Fun project! It was good to make two at the same time a little more productive - using the same setups to cut 4 sides instead of 2.... etc..

Again, thanks for the comments....
    Last edited by Ed Sallee; 04-25-2009 at 10:21 AM.

I voted for that lid, too!

[QUOTE=Ed Sallee;1117302]

When I wet sanded... I used water in a coffee can. Never thought about using oil.... not even sure what kind of oil to use for that, as I would think it would have to dry for a long time between coats. I would think that the Teak Oil & Danish Oil would be pretty close to the same. I went with the Teak oil again because it says on the side of the can that it is good for dense woods.... and cocobolo & padauk are pretty dense woods.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I was just at a two day seminar that Jeff Jewitt was presenting, and one of the ways that he wets sands is to use Dawn dish soap, he stated Dawn has a lubricant in it and he did use it and it did finish up smooth… (Also no waiting for the oil to dry)… just something to consider.

Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

In my experience(very limited) I use the same product to wet sand that I use to finish the piece. so in for the few projects that I finished that way, I used 3 third mixe: Lindseed oil(boiled), varnish and turpentine. I apply it generously with a rag, let soak for 15 to 30 min., and rub the excess dry with a clean rag! so when I wet sand I just put a little more of the mixture on the wood and use a wet dry sand paper (400,600) and just rub all over, after I that I wipe the excess and let sit for an other 15+min. and rub it dry. What it doese, is on poruse wood like mahogany, it will creat some kind od wood slury that will act as a filler to bring the surface of the wood realy smooth. After, it's a mather of personal taste if you like a glossy look, you keep applying the mixe as describe, but with out the sanding!
    I hoppe it make sense!
    David

Nice work Ed. OK.. OK.. I was wrong on the lid top choice but... in defense of that call, the contrasting band sets it off.

Sarge..

nice... nice wood, nice work
    fledgling weekend warrior