Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Simple Box

Look great to me, I really like the pull you did for the lid. Nice job all around!!
    On another note, never be intimidated to show your work. Remember that its not a contest but rather a union of various levels of talent and ability coming together for a single cause, The Creek!! Some are better than others but that doesnt mean that we still shouldnt share our work. Besides I think woodworking is alot like music. It doesnt matter if your pickin with someone who just started or someone who is a seasoned pro, you can always learn something!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Thank you! I use something similar, Lindseed, turpentine or spirits and varnish!

"Well, I have to say, I struggle with showing you guys my work because the level of talent here is so far beyond where I am. I get particularly blown away by you guys that say "look at my first project", and it looks like something done by a 30 year pro."
    Brad - Never be afraid to show your work. If you don't you'll never get any feedback, and without that, you've a tough time improving your skills.

Besides - remember that every one of us, no matter how skilled and no matter how much our work might induce a "WOW!" response today, struggled with hammering a birdhouse together at one point.

Heck, I've encountered this at a Woodworking show a couple of weekends ago where I was just filling space to help out the owner of the store and provide the guests with something to look at - a hand-cut dovetails demo.

I personally consider that pretty "ho-hum", and a lot of other woodworkers would as well for good reason. The general public, though, was seriously impressed. And that will be the case with everything you turn out of your shop, no matter what you think of it.

Heck, anything with dovetails, be they machine made or hand-cut, will impress the general public. Gotta remember that they mostly see veneered particle board in furniture and butt joints!

Blog Entries
    That's a nice looking piece. I'll be all into a large table or something I am working on and someone in the shop will completely ignore it and be drawn to a small box off on a shelf somewhere. There's just something about them . . .
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler