Thread: dust collection for contractors saw

dust collection for contractors saw

Rockler sells a "hood" for a contractors table saw that I can hook up to my shop vac, I know it's not the best but it's something. Anybody have experiance w/ their hood? Know of a better? Thanks.

g
    We are here on Earth to do good to others. What the others are here for, I don't know.

W. H. Auden

I know this isn't exactly answering your question.
    I got a 14" hood from Grizzly. It mounted in bottom of my 1991 Craftsman saw with 4 washers and sheet metal screws. I didn't have to drill the saw or anything else. Used an adapter to reduce the 4" dust collection fitting. Then I used some heavy corrugated cardboard and magnetic tape to seal up the back as best I could without interfering with the operation of the saw. Works okay. Doesn't get it all but it's much better than the trash bag clamped to the bottom I was using.

Bill

I'm also in the process of doing the same thing. I just ordered this;
    http://www.pennstateind.com/store/R-...cid=3523757656

You can reduce it down to size for your shop vac. Also I plan on putting magnetic rubber around the bevel gauge opening and foam sealant where the saw top meets the stand. Fine Woodworking addressed this in the current issue although I have not had a chance to see it.

Ken

Thanks! That's the one I was looking for, just didn't know where to look.

g
    We are here on Earth to do good to others. What the others are here for, I don't know.

W. H. Auden

I started with the hood from rockler and found it wasn't large enough. I had alot of dust buildup in the bottom of the saw so I ordered the pan Ken linked to but have not installed it yet. I closed up the rest with MDF. Heres a couple of pics. The first is with the Rockler hood.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yeah, the rockler hood looked like it would work, just not as well. I plan to close up the back w/ magnetic sign material (to make it easier to tilt the blade). Any reason that wouldn't work? Thanks.

g

W. H. Auden

You might look at the current issue of Fine Woodworking. There's an article about dust collection on a contractors saw.

Greg - works great. I especially liked the fact it could be shifted to address a blade tilt, snugged up to reduce air flow or opened up if needed too.

It'll stay on forever if one keeps the magnet reasonably clean where it's attached to saw. I always thought of it a my wannahaveacabinetsawdustcollectionsolution.
    Last edited by Joel Earl; 04-28-2009 at 1:00 PM.

I have a set-up similar to Pat's, except I use a 4"x10" register boot instead of the Rockler hood. It is offset to the side so that the opening is below the dust chute whether the blade is plumb or at 45 degrees. I used small pieces of velcro to attach a piece of sign board to the back of the saw. I think magnetic strips would work better, but velcro is what I had at the time.