Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tool to trace electrical circuit to breaker

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Interesting. I've been using the same cheap one for many years and other than needing to tweek the sensitivity a bit on "older wiring", it works like a champ! Couldn't have cost me much more than fifty bucks at the 'borg when I bought it.
    I will admit Jim that many of my panels have over 100 breakers in them and I think this lends to confusing the thing. But I even brought the second one home and tried it here. It would not locate a correct breaker with any reliable accuracy even when I knew which breaker it should be beeping over.

We hire many different mechanical contractor on campus. One day I was shooting the breeze with one and noticed he had one of the "gimmicks" laying in a pile of "stuff" in the front corner of his van. I asked him how he liked it. He just snickered and asked me why I thought it was laying in a pile of junk.
    Until someone demonstrates a circuit tracer that works, I won't be wasting any more of my employers money on one.
    It's a vintage trailer thing. If ya gotta ask, ya won't understand.

Maybe this just points to poor quality control in building these devices? Perhaps Mr. Becker got the 1 in 10 with the right parts with the right tolerance stuffed....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.