Thread: anyone used the bowl "skew"

anyone used the bowl "skew"

No, this isn't about somebody using a skew as a bowl scraper, though I've seen it done. I was looking for a new scraper for shear scraping the insides of finish turned bowls--I wanted a powder metal one, but this caught my eye, even though its HSS.
    I currently use a 1/2" HSS scraper that I polish with worn sandpaper, then sharpen & use the Veritas scraper burnisher, which works quite well on the outside to let me start at at least 150-180 if the wood is straight grained, but on the inside of bowls, its easy to go a little too deep because the square edge sometimes catches a little on the tool rest. This sounds like a cool idea, but I want others' feedback first.

That sounds like a Spindlemaster. Is this some new tool on the market and if so do you have a photo???
    John T.

Sorry; I forgot to post the link. Its made by Crown tools, here's a link:

http://www.crownhandtools.ltd.uk/pro...tbowlskews.asp
    Last edited by Nathan Hawkes; 04-27-2009 at 4:27 PM.

Hey Nathan,

I have both of Dave Hout's tools like this. They do work, but you actually use them on their side and you do not turn them like a gouge.
    A few hours south of Steve Schlumpf

A flat gouge? I'd pass I think.

Pass on the Spindlemaster too. I have one and haven'ty been able to get a good cut. I must not be using it properly.

Yes, I have used a skew to scrape the inside of a bowl. Worked good. Right up until that big catch........

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Iwamoto View Post
    A flat gouge? I'd pass I think.

Pass on the Spindlemaster too. I have one and haven'ty been able to get a good cut. I must not be using it properly.

Yes, I have used a skew to scrape the inside of a bowl. Worked good. Right up until that big catch........

The spindlemaster is not on my want list. I don't do a lot of spindle turning, but I get by just fine with spindle gouges. Somehow combination tools, or combination anything in life for that matter, designed to do things "better" and easier are usually neither, in my experience. This tool is completely different, for shear cutting the insides of bowls only. I was actually joking about the skew. I have seen someone shear scrape a sphere with one, but BE CAREFUL! You don't need to be waiting in the E.R. for the removal of a skew from your thigh, or worse your neck. In reference to the angles involved, the bowl skew is going to do about the same very fine wispy cut as a shear scraper presented at a diagonal to the wood--(with a nicely burnished burr for cutting). at a 45deg. angle sliding on its edge on the toolrestI'm sort of becoming a production turner, with more and more sales helping me with school tuition, etc. They paid for my new PM 3520B. The more I turn the nicer the finish I like to leave before letting a piece dry before sanding. Did I mention that I really hate sanding and will do anything to get the best quality surface?

I really wanted to hear from someone that uses it regularly, or why they didn't use it regularly..... Pete, do you like them?? I knew they were to be used on the side, but do you slide them perpendicular to the tool rest?
    Last edited by Nathan Hawkes; 04-27-2009 at 11:03 PM.

Nathan,

I do like them but they also take a while to get used to.
    I'm unsure on perpendicular to the tool rest. Wouldn't that be straight up and down?

You just slide the square metal along the tool rest and use the very corner of the tip.

So it is like a flat gouge? That would be almost as scary as using a regular skew. I ground my skew into a Lacer grind, so I was going pretty good, since you can actually use it as a scraper because of the rounded point. I use it in scraper mode a lot on the outside of the bowl.

Here are a couple of pics.

The tool is used at this angle.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the pics, Pete. By perpendicular I meant on its side--the flute being perpendicular to the top of the tool rest. So after the practice, does it really leave a great finish? I'm not averse to a little learning curve time.

Smile bowl bottom tools

I have not used this tool but have used a homemade similar tool for 15 years. probably the bestkept secret in woodturning. take a 1/2 " deep bowl gouge(or so) and grind a very short bevel (15 deg.) on it. you will have perfect curls and control on the flat bottom. be sure to ride the bevel on the wood! enough said----------ol forester

Ah, I finally got the picture on how it looks/works! Sometimes I just can't get it from a picture......

Sounds a little like the Termite or the Hunter Carbide. I have the medium Hunter. I think it works pretty good, and NO SHARPENING!

Am I finally on the right track? Boy do I feel dum. Comments from Termite/Hunter users?