Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Saw Till Pics or Plans?

Question Saw Till Pics or Plans?

My Uncle Vern's treasure chest of tools arrived. He passed away about 10 months ago and now I get to appreciate him through his tools.

About all I can do to rehab them is to scrub and oil the handles! He has kept them in excellent condition. He inherited many of them from his dad and I think a couple are from his grand-father.

For now they are safely in their packing box but it is time to build a saw till to protect them. I have seen a couple of pictures of Saw Tills and would appreciate your experienced advise / pictures / plans.

Brian
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

No plans for saw till... But look like you are geting a nice collection!
    I envy you !
    David

Hey David, has Spring come to Whitehorse yet or do you bloom in May?

Brian

Sean, I like the places for the sharpening files. Are those saw slots about 1-1/2" apart?

I don't remember the exact distance and the till is at home (I'm not). It is very easy to figure out good spacing if you have two saws though -- which I think you do ;-)

Spring is here this week

Spring is here this week But for how long we don't know...they are calling for 18degees celcius for wenesday and maybe higher for the end of the weekthat is realy hot for this time of the year... blooming would definitly happen in late may!!
    David

Great looking saw-till Sean. And thanks for the link to the older SMC thread.

And yeah! A new project idea for the shop... Glad it's in the basement, because it was hot this past weekend (90s F).

Ah the joys of working in a basement hand-tool shop--not too cold in the winter and not too hot in the summer.

You're kind to praise my till. It was one of my first hand tool projects about 12 years back (I found the basic plan online somewhere, though I changed things to suit myself). I was kind of clueless about anything but glue and screws for joinery back then. This may have been one my first woodwroking projects to have a drawer (and it shows). Loved me some dowels at the time, apparently, too!

Than again, it's still together and it does its job.

Quote Originally Posted by David Gendron View Post
    Spring is here this week But for how long we don't know...they are calling for 18degees celcius for wenesday and maybe higher for the end of the weekthat is realy hot for this time of the year... blooming would definitly happen in late may!!
    David
    Let's see. 9/5*18+32=64.4° Fahrenheit. That is pretty warm! When I lived for a year in Russia, there was not a spot of green on April 30 and every plant was in full bloom by May 7. Autumn had run its course by the end of September. (Summer was pretty much over by mid-August).

In spite of the attractiveness of building this only with hand tools, I'll probably chicken out and use the band saw if I have a big gentle curve on the sides. I have a frame saw but I'm not so good at it yet. I know, I know, this would give me lots of practice.

If you don't use it how can you get good at it???
    David

When I finally got around to building a saw till at the beginning of this year (part of my complete workshop rebuild), two of the outstanding tills I looked at were Dave's and Sean's.

This holds a couple of rip and panel saws, a halfback, two mitrebox saws, 12" and 14" tenon saws, and a bunch of Japanese saws, along with a few dovetail saws.

Of course I have added a couple of saws since then .. there is never going to be a suitable size till ... a Veritas dovetail saw (more than holds its own with the IT and LN I already had), and today an Andrew Lunn carcase saw arrived in the mail (no pics yet).

Regards from Perth

Derek