Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need new Dust Bag

Question Need new Dust Bag

I currently have a 30 micron bag that came with my Shop Fox W1685. I am looking to get a bag that is 1 micron or close to it. I have plenty of room around my DC and about 40 in above it for the top filter bag.

I looked at American Fabric Filters already and it seemed a little expensive for their custom made ones.

What do you all recomend??

AFF is the best. Remember you get what you pay for.

I upgraded an old Jet DC with a Wynn Environmental filter: http://www.wynnenv.com/cartridge_filters.htm

Not cheap (~ $100), but better airflow and MUCH cleaner air!

Oneida Air Systems also sells bags to fit that are 1 micron or better, reasonable too for the quality. Ran them on my bag DC for 6 years before upgrading to a cyclone.

Blog Entries
    I got a huge custom bag from AFF for about $100 (get the biggest that will fit in your space). Very reasonable and a big boost in performance. I got the bag to help me get by till I got my cyclone. The bag made the DC so much better that I kept it even after the cyclone was in. It is dedicated to my jointer and planer.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Glenn - you either got the deal of a lifetime or it was a long time ago.

My AFF quote came in at $143+ for the top. Lower sleeve to go over a metal trash can, straps and shipping took it to $271.74. Ouch
    Seems prices have gone to Mars

Having said this - they make a great product. Then again so does Wynn.

REP
    TERMS
    FOB
    TNT
    TBA
    Wesley Chp FL
    ITEM
    DESCRIPTION
    QTY
    PRICE EACH
    TOTAL
    WE ARE PLEASED TO OFFER THE FOLLOWING
    PRICING AS REQUESTED AND BASED UPON THE
    INFORMATION PROVIDED.
    MISC
    (NEW) BAG- SHAKER FELT, SINGED INSIDE, 19"
    DIAMETER TAPERED OUT TO 36" DIAMETER X 42"
    OVER ALL LENGTH, CIRCULAR TOP CLOSED WITH
    (4) HANG LOOPS EQUALLY SPACED FOR
    SUSPENSION, PLAIN EDGE AT THE OPEN END.
    (ESTIMATED AIR FLOW: 2100 CFM)
    MISC
    (NEW) TRANSFER SLEEVE- 16OZ. POLYESTER
    FELT, SINGED INSIDE, 19" DIAMETER TAPERED TO
    24" DIAMETER X 9" OVER ALL LENGTH, 2" HEMS
    TO THE OUTSIDE AT BOTH ENDS.
    2" TO 21-1/4" DIA. SNAP-LOCK WORM GEAR
    STYLE, QUICK RELEASE HOSE CLAMP

Matthew, I found these on bags Amazon

Another vote for the Wynn Environmental 35A kit.
    http://www.wynnenv.com/35A_series_cartridge_kit.htm

I opted for the 35A100SBOL Spun bond poly cartridge so that I could be sure I could wash it and reuse it instead of throw it out when it gets clogged.

In the long run, I figure investment in that filter is a good use of the $$ it takes to get it... Like others have mentioned, greatly increases the performance of the DC in both airflow and filtration....
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel Earl View Post
    Glenn - Seems prices have gone to Mars
    Ouch is right. Mine is a direct replacement for the top bag; 24" diameter about 64" tall, tapered neck to miss the motor and single hookloop at the top, $114.00. Less than a year ago.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Another vote for a Wynn filter.

The bags need to covered in dust for the filtering to work properly, thus causing a loss in performance. Any filter is better than a bag, and easier to clean. Then again, you cam blow the open discharge outside causing no back pressure :>).

So what's the magicical method to clean the filter? I know if one has a paddle it's simple, but since the Wynns don't I am curious what the solution is.

Now the reason I ask is over the weekend my top filter suffered a major tear or rip. It appears someone hooked it with Lord knows what but it was torn wide open. My options are cannister or another AFF.
    I hear from some they less than happy cleaning cannister so I need to know if there is a trick they don't know about.

The bag I just thumped once or twice and it's done. Some minor caking is desired and this is all it needs to be there. I liked the Wynn on my old HF but didn't enjoy the cleaning either but did it only 2x before I got new DC - by now I know someone has come up with a 2009 High Tech Solution.

So magical solutions please show up

Some guys build beaters for their Wynn canisters (directions on the Wynn site), but a lot of guys (and probably gals) do what I do...

Build a Thien Cyclone separator, and simply give the canister a whack on the top after the impeller spools down... Seems to be working pretty good so far...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

I was one of the very first beater tryers --- hung that up in a hurry. That was pre-plans on Wynn site and bet they have got it down better than my attempt.

Maybe I'll tread back on over to Wynn and try the spun blend this time.
    I'd go back to AFF if they weren't so dang costly. And wacking --- oh man, I can whack a DC

Thanks - I have the P.T. baffle that's made but not installed yet - you prefer the seperator huh? Pretty sure I got the power to handle either with the PSI 2hp DC I'm running. Now the time if I'm ever gonna do it I guess.

Had the AFF on my Shop Fox, now have Wynn on my Clear Vue. Both have great performance. Since AFF will size the top bag according to the real flow and not just a copy of the original, the lower bag is no longer of any real use for airflow. I put a contractors trash bag into the original lower bag and clamped it on. Only drawback was cleaning the top bag when it got too caked.

According to Ed at Clear Vue, the Wynn filters can just be blown out with compressed air. Not all filters are created equal, and if you go with a pleated filter, you need to check with the manufacturer to see what they recommend.

I think you'd get great service from either company. I have.

BTW, Wynn has a link to a retro-fit project for a Harbor Freight single stage DC to a Wynn filter. Might check it out. http://www.wynnenv.com/9e300bl_conversion.htm

Thinking about the Wynn.. Whitch filter do you guys frefer?

35A100SBOL
    $147.00 each
    (1) Filter #35A100SBOL
    17.5” x 23”
    Open-Closed
    100 Sq. Ft. of 100% Spun Bond Polyester
    99.995% efficient at 1.0 micron and above
    Washable

35A274BLOL
    $103.00 each
    (1) Filter #35A274BLOL
    17.5” x 23”
    Open-Closed
    274 Sq. Ft. of 80/20 Blend Paper
    99.99 % efficient at 0.5 micron
    Outer Screen, No Inner Screen

Are there any other good cartridge filteres out there?