Thread: Was this a good buy for a nail gun compressor?

Was this a good buy for a nail gun compressor?

Hello,

I just bought a Craftsman 3 gallon 1 HP compressor from Sears for $89, to use for nail gun applications. I’ve never owned nor used a compressor or nail guns before, but I’m a pretty decent woodworker, so I‘m not a novice to woodworking, only to compressors and nail guns.

This compressor is oil-lubed and has a direct drive motor. Has anyone had experience with this compressor? According to the specs, it has 125 max psi and delivers 2.4 cfm at 90 psi. I haven’t bought my nail guns yet, but this seems to be enough capacity to drive nail guns.

I deliberately stayed away from oilless compressors, since most of you told me that an oil lubed compressor was the better choice.

I hope that you’ll tell me that I made a good buy. I’m sort of fishing for someone to tell me that this compressor was a good choice for nail guns. I don’t plan on using it for anything else.

Thanks,
    Louis

I am not sure of the exact model you bought, but based on the specs you listed it should work fine for a brad nailer and finish gun in a home shop.

Louis,
    I've been using that same compressor for about 18 month now and it is a gem. I use it much more than my larger dedicated compressor since the noise is much less. It goes for quite a while on a full tank using my 18 ga nailers/staplers and my 23 ga pinner before running again.

The pressure controls work very good on this unit as well. I'm surprised Sears doesn't charge more for it. I got mine for less than $80 with a promotion in the Craftsman Club. I set mine up on a shelf above my assembly table since it is light weight too. Enjoy.
    Kev
    Last edited by Kev Godwin; 04-28-2009 at 8:20 PM.

Yes it will work. I have used the tiny makita compressor(mac700) for trim work, and even it kept up fine. If you plan on using a framing nailer, yours will work, but it won't keep up if you're shooting off a deck or something, but it will shoot nails.

should work just fine. I wouldnt try spraying or framing with it, but i still have my craftsman pancake from over a decade ago. The head is detached, and held on by masons twine, the plastic housing split apart, but it still works perfectly! (just need two hands to carry it)

I have that compressor and run an 18 gauge brad nailer and a 16 gauge finish nailer off it, and no problems.

If it's the same one as I have it's a decent compressor

I've run staplers & nailers no problem. I even tried a P-C PSH1 HVLP gun just for grins. I didn't actually spray anything, just hooked it up and squeezed and held the trigger. The tank pressure never dropped below about 80 or 90 psi but the compressor never shut off, either. What will work for small spray jobs is the critter gun from Lee Valley among other sources. This compressor will run that gun just fine.

Curt

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Cowan View Post
    I have that compressor and run an 18 gauge brad nailer and a 16 gauge finish nailer off it, and no problems.
    That's what I use to and it works for me......
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Had the same compressor for about 5 years now and never had a problem. Runs all my nail guns without a hick-up. Got mine for $79 and it came with the accessory kit, all of which I still use.