Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I don't think I am smart enough to use Sketchup!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Fox View Post
    . . .lining things up . . .
    I'm a confirmed SketcherUpper now, but that one really had me confused at first. I was so frustrated trying to move something to where I want it to be that I almost gave up there. Here's the trick. Say you have two boxes and you want to move them together. Assume that you want to put them so that the bottom right corner of one touches the bottom left corner of the other one. Before you try to move it, click on it - if it's a component, you'll see the box, if it's not a component, click again to make sure the whole thing is selected. Everything which you are going to move will have the dots which indicate that it is selected. Then select the move tool and click on the bottom right corner and move the cursor to the bottom left corner of the other box. When it snaps into place, click again. The key is to grab by a point which will align with some other point you want to move it to.

In the time it took to write that, I could have done a hundred such moves, but before I figured that out, I just couldn't do it without trying a hundred times.

. . . I want to use components, I really do but they behave inconsistently for me. . . .
    Yep, this one messed me up for a long time too. What I didn't know was that you can't make something a component if it is touching anything else which is not a component. The way to tell is to double click on it and see what all is highlighted. If anything besides what you want to select is connected to it, it won't work. You need to isolate the object you are going to make a component out of. This is especially confusing because it doesn't tell you that it didn't work, it just disappears the same way as if it had worked. Then when you re-do it, it says you've already used that name. Again, once you learn it, takes just a second.

. . .I also have problems lining things up. For example, all the columns in my basement are on the same centerline and support a metal i-Beam. I have extruded the walls and columns up but now I want to add this I-beam with the same centerline as the columns in a plane that is parallel to the floor. No idea how to pull this one off. . . .
    There are a couple of ways to skin this cat. One is to make a guideline/layout line/tape measure line and bring it to the place you want the I-beam to go to, then move the I-beam to it. Another way is to make marks on things, so you can move things by grabbing those marks. For instance, you might draw a line across the top of one of your walls and draw a line on the I-beam, then grab the line on the I-beam and move it to the line on the wall. You can also grab things by the middle of a line and move it to the middle of another line.

I am at just about the same situation as Larry Browning in that I am just about ready to go back to pencil and paper.
    Don't give up, it's a great and fun (addictive) program. I think a lot of people figure out the things above, then they can't remember how they were confused when they started. That makes it hard for them to explain how to solve the problem. I was so frustrated with the first thing that I actually wrote it down when I learned it. Now I'm pretty darn good at it and sometimes I draw things just for kicks.

Keep coming back with questions.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch View Post
    ... Then, it's how to draw precisely.
    Good God in Heaven, I have to draw precisely??????

Well, it depends. Post some pictures of your completed projects, and I'll let you know. It might be that you're better off just having a big garage sale!!

I have been having a lot of frustration with Su too. I've found this site http://sites.google.com/site/sketchupsage/ and it's pretty helpful.

Have you modeled before? Start with small stuff. Boxes and the push/pull.
    Watch video tutorials, they will help.

Respectfully, I think most of the problems that SU newbies have are due to the fact that they refuse to read and/or watch the tutorials. How can one understand how a software application works without referring to the manuals and tutorials? I'm not talking about just looking at one or two specific tutorials... first, you have to go through all the introductory/basic tutorials. Maybe I'm wrong in this case, but from Larry's description, I don't see how you could have viewed the basic tutorials. Every issue is covered.

Blog Entries
    I think using SU is a skill that has to be learned, not only what key or button to push, but also in an artistic sort of way. Most people know how to use pencil and can draw a stick figure, they have learned how to use the tool. But not everyone can learn to draw a masterpiece. It takes many years of practice and God given talent. Plus, for someone that has that God given talent, getting from the stick figure to the masterpiece seems doable, it is hard for them to understand why someone else has so much trouble.
    When I was a kid I learned that I was musically inept. My father was not, he could pick up just about any instrument and learn how to play it very quickly. He could not understand why I could not do that, and it frustrated us both. I really think SU is the same way. Some people pick it right away, and are able to make it a source of enjoyment to use. While others may never figure it out and it becomes a source of frustration.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Thanks again everyone for the time to post I have looked at some of the tutorials and they are very helpful. I think at this point I am well on my way towards having the basic skills necessary to make use of the program and a solid foundation upon which to build.

For this, I have to call out a fellow Creeker for his singular kindness and generosity in getting me going in the right direction. Dave Richards, on two seperate ocassions, gave up several hours of his time on the phone and via an online "meeting" answering my questions and showing me the ropes. Had he not taken the time I am sure I would have given up last week. Dave is THE MAN!!!

D-Alan, sorry but I need to respectfully reject your explanation straight away and, frankly, find it a bit demeaning. I (and others I am sure) watched tons of tutorials and read (maybe not the manuals but other materials) but the fundamentals just were not "clicking" and the RTFM explanation is a bit too simplistic in this case I am afraid. I think Larry Browning summed it up very well and perhaps more elequently than I.

Larry,

I probably should have been more tactful in my statements. However, I see posts like yours every now and then. It came across as being a hopeless situation. I've observed that learning SU is not hopeless as long as one is willing to put some effort into learning. In today's world, I know that human nature generally drives many to jump into something and expect it to "work". I was simply trying to emphasize the importance of reading/view the tutorials first. It's unfortunate that you found that demeaning. I'm hoping that some other SU newbie can benefit from what I and others recommended. I also hope that you have a different perspective regarding SU now that you've taken more time to get to know it. BTW, I don't have any affiliation with SU and I know that SU is not without flaws. But, considering it's free (non-Pro version), it's not bad.

dave richards certainly knows his stuff! hes helped me out quite a few times

Quote Originally Posted by mike gager View Post
    dave richards certainly knows his stuff! Hes helped me out quite a few times
    + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 . . .
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

There are a series of video tutorials here

www.go-2-school.com has a host of videos.

You can also subscribe to them as podcasts in the iTunes store. Just search for sketchup in iTunes. They are free. Or they are all in youtube at http://www.youtube.com/user/4sketchupgo2school The early shows were all about using sketchup in woodworking.

I agree the curve can be a bit steep, but it's a great program once you master components, measures, and alignment.

Fine woodworking also has a blog with some great sketchup tutorials, but it's part of their online subscription. Dave Richards is one of the key contributors there.

neil

In 2005, at the first SketchUp conference, videos were not taken of most sessions. However, in June 2008, Google took videos of just about every session. Here is the link to all 22 videos: http://www.youtube.com/sketchupbasecamp?gl=GB&hl=en-GB

Todd

I don't know if anyone else has suggested this, but do a google search for "Sketchup for dummies".

There are great videos on the web under that title.

Right on the SketchUp site they have video tutorials: http://sketchup.google.com/training/videos.html

Start with the new user series here:
    http://sketchup.google.com/training/...ew_to_gsu.html

The first four videos give you the basic concepts. Then, the "toolbar series" gives you a short video of each and every command available to you.

Watch those and you'll be an expert in no time!

As D-Alan stated, most of the time I find someone with SketchUp problems they haven't bothered with the basic videos available on the SketchUp site.