Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Laser Scanner Setup and Results

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mathews View Post
    I happen to be fortunate enough to be involved with a company that saw the light over 3 years ago and tackled this and other technology head on. We have learned by trial and error, research and lots of mistakes!
    Yes...I imagine... you have done a lot of efforts in the time when the technology was scarce... Your work is inspiring because of your hard efforts and devotion...

I have 2 old line laser heads with 2 fixed cameras in each head, in the back room that are replacements for our LDI 3500 Surveyor. You have inspired me to get the David Laser Scanner Software and see if we can't jury rig something up with them just for the fun of it.
    You are lucky.. just try it and you will amazed to see the results....

Be sure to mill that skull you are working on. It will be inspiring for others to see it come together.
    This model is not that good to be machined..i will machine some carved table legs after mastering in scanning technique...

Jim McGrew is the King Maker, he carved it, I just did the scanning and model work!
    Jim is doing excellent job...you both must be proud of it...Especially you who did the intricate scanning work...and Jim for doing that job well done... ... " If i am the King then you are the King Maker"... It means i am nothing in front of you

2. Scanner

Khalid, Those scans look fantastic!
    What I am wondering though, is what you do with the scans after they are done.
    Do you use Vectric's Cut 3D to carve it out?
    Or is this just done for your own interests.
    This "David" laser set up. Is there a web site that explains this process?
    I have purchased 5 line lasers, I am going to use two on each of my CNC's and will have one left over for a spare that I can use to try this project out.
    Even if it is not designed for carving, this just looks like a fun project to try out.

Thanks for sharing this with us.

Shawn

Shawn
    currently i am just experimenting...as soon as i get the quality scans i will start machining it... especially i am interested in scanning of beautiful carving around me... and the most interested part is carved legs and columns..

You can visit david laser scanner website.. a lot of information their..hope you will get it running soon..

Regards

Some steps for improvement :)

As i am committed to attain excellent results from David laser scanner.. so i did following things in last week..

1- I supplied 4.5Volts to my laser with 2 US dollar adapter.. and its running very well..so i made cost saving in 1.5 volts cells.. The three cells costs half dollar and run only 1 hr continuously..

2- My wife sew a Black curtain (Artificial Lather)..and my room is pretty dark..so the quality of scans improved....

3- DID made many different size calibration boards.. the smallest one has paper attached with squash tape... the panel behind the small has paper glued to it and the last panel you are seeing has adhesive tape on back of the panel.... i brought this paper and photocopy the calibration grid on it..

4-Borrowed the camera stand from my friend to experiment plan-less scanning....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Okay..here is the Antique piece that is being used from 1000 of years and its still being used in many countries... This is very special thing ..Guess what??

and the mask is also there...
    Last edited by Khalid Khattak; 05-08-2009 at 1:26 PM.

Just some updates on My laser scanner setup...I improved my laser setup..I did work on my 1:60 ratio gearbox (i bought it from junk yard US8$).....i made a mount for stepper motor and gearbox and engage them with coupling I am getting drastic improvement in my scanning..Now i am interpolating at 1~2... that gives good resolution.. I also mounted the Gear setup on the camera stand..and it work perfect...

Meanwhile Mr. Richard Bouchard gifted me a very Powerful (10mW), beautiful Green Laser Pointer from Dealextreme website.. It will really helpful for quality scans.... Thanks Richard :-) Your gift is very valuable to me :-)I will never forget your this kind gesture :-)