Thread: Adirondack Bench - Project for my mom and m-i-l

Adirondack Bench - Project for my mom and m-i-l

Here is a project I completed for my mother and one for my mother in law. I got the plans from an American Woodworker and made some very small tweaks. Used 5/4 radiused deck planks and 2X6's in western red cedar and finished with Spar Urethane (3 coats).

Turned out very nice and was a fun project to make.

Critique as you wish!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    GO POKES!!

Aaron, I like the design alot. I recently built a pair of adirondaks out of ipe, and plan on making a loveseat similiar to yours. It looks very comfortable for snuggling up to a loved one next to a fire.
    Attached Images Attached Images

If you would like me to scan in the plans and email them to you, I'd be more than happy to. I was very impressed with the designs and project layout. I made templates out of mdf after my second bench and now I've made 8 of these things. Let me know if you want me to shoot you the plans.
    GO POKES!!

I'm going to make 2 chairs as well - just shorten the entire design and only do one arch on the back. I'll be able to use all my existing templates. Thanks for the pics.
    GO POKES!!

Thanks for the offer, but I am sticking with the same design for the single chairs I built, and just widening it to accomodate two people. I plan on making the back have two arches like yours. Most loveseats like this it seems that people take the easy way out, and make the back flat.

I agree, I like the double arch. Good luck with the loveseat, post some pics when you are done.
    GO POKES!!

Very cool double Adirondack.That WRC is some pretty wood. You did a very nice job...I have one question for you though..I've never sat in an Adirondack,but they look like they'd be hard to get out of unless you're young and still have spring in your legs. Are they as hard to get out of as they look to be?

I don't think I could get mom and m-i-l in the same chair.

They look great!

Yeah, I had to make 2 so both the moms would be satisfied.

And yes, they are a bit difficult to get out of, but it's so worth it to relax in one because the seating angle and curvature is very well laid out - perfect for kicking back and enjoying the shade or reading a book. My mom has an artificial knee and she loves hers, even though it takes some "planning" to get out of.
    GO POKES!!

Aaron - I love the design and have been looking for something similar where did you get the plans?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Segel View Post
    Aaron - I love the design and have been looking for something similar where did you get the plans?
    +1. If you do scan the plans and e-mail them, I'd really appreciate it if you could include me on your distro list.

Your project and craftsmanship really looks great!

looks great, please include me on email too.

thanks

I would definately be interested in the plans as well, pretty please?

Thanks
    Sawdust is some of the best learning material!